Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How bad is my site

janice123
Trust:

How bad is my site

Hi, I am a total newbie. I have been building my site for 3 months with 30 thousand visitors but no one is clicking on any thing therefore no sales. How bad is my site http://janiceathome.com Please be very honest I need to improve my site. Because what I have is not working.

Thanks. All the help is appreciated.

Regards Janice
cleverfoxy
Trust:
Well, I wish you share some tips on how you've got 30000 visitors on your 3 months old site!
towerone
Trust:
Hi Janice,

I just took a quick look at your site. First off are you certain about your 30,000 visitors in 3 months? From what I can see you are getting around about 150 visitors a day.

The second thing I notice is that your site key words are very general ...

"women, wife, girlfriend, mother, special person, traditional, unique, romantic, personal, shopping online, flowers, jewelry, candles, candle holders, baskets, perfume, crystal, chocolate"

So for example, someone searching for 'flowers' may land on your site but they may be looking for the name of a particular flower's name rather than to buy flowers. You may want to try changing your keywords to something more specific like 'anniversary gift ideas' or 'buy anniversary gift', .. ( I have not checked these keywords but I hope you get the idea - they indicate an intention to purchase).

Thirdly I would also drop the adsense and other raft of links you have in there. They just confuse and to be honest if you do the math you will never get rich on adsense. One site for one purpose!

Lastly, have you thought about splitting the site into several micro sites - each specializing in a particular gift area such as candle holders, jewelry, perfume etc ? It may improve conversions.

Just some random thoughts!

Cheers
janice123
Trust:
Hi,
Thanks for helping me out. I check my traffic with the counter on the bottom of my site and also I have a traffic report with the hosting I'm with today it reached 37,000. Could be wrong.
I just check impressions on my banners & yes I agree with you works out about 150 + is that because my site has to much stuff in it to load in? & the counter counts everytime someone trys to veiw site?

I use twitter everyday with reoccuring messages that is where all my traffic is coming from.

I will remove the adsense and try to clean up the rest. I'm not much of a writer and found visuals easier to use.
Also do I need to have videos or news info etc. My trainer got me to put it in to keep visitors interested.

Sorry for asking so much but I am real green. Didn't really know what I got into when I started. I am learning & making big mistakes.

I have been having training with this group I'm with but to tell you the truth I'm starting to have more of an idea than them. They keep telling me it is good. Well I don't think so! If it was good it would work wouldn't it?

I am so glad I found Affilorama, fantastic so far spent a long time looking around yesterday.

Thanks again

Regards Janice
beldin
Trust:
Is that 30,000 uniques? You'll find people asking about it because one of the main issues a lot of people have is driving traffic. 10,000/month with a new site is something many on this site are dreaming of... but...

If your traffic is not targeted to what your are promoting your sales will be minimal, if anything at all.

If you are getting 10,000 unique visitors a month then you are, at the very least, doing something right with traffic generation and those on this site would most likely want to hear more about it, could you share more of your twitter strategy?

Stephen
Stephen

masoma
Trust:
Hi Janice

I just took a look at the site and it's excellent. Lots of content with the links. Huge amount of products etc..

But I agree with Towerone "TWO MUCH"

I also agree with towerone that you should break it up into mini sites - and then target those customers with the keywords for that site only.

Makes it less confusing for people searching and it also gives them a specific target rather than getting side tracked with everything else you have. on this site.

It's a great site and a great use of the widgets with the amount of products you have there.

Congrat's

masoma
janice123
Trust:
Thanks Guys,

I feel alot better now I was about to rib it apart and start again!.. I will think about creating one each but first I need this one to start to work, at least show some promise.

How do I know if they are unique visitors?

Now my Twitter, take a look at my profile (janiceathome) & you will see how I am marketing Gifts for women. All are Gifts & Gift Ideas. One every ten minutes 24/7. Perhaps that is where I am targeting wrong! I'll have a good look at them.

Thanks again really appreciated.

Regards
Janice
beldin
Trust:
Hey,

Just looking at some of the tweets and where they end up on your site.... when I click on the links I'm taken to your site (of course)... but I feel like I'm just sort of stranded there... for example, you say, "Spoil Her!.. Candles & Pamper Sets!.. Perfect Gift Idea!" and I'm taken to the candle/holders pages, which makes sense but there's a sense of wanting more, an expectation to see the product your mentioned in your tweet and not having to look for it.

You may want to research landing pages and have your tweets go to something more specific. When you have visitors come to a landing page, you don't want to give them too many distractions that they can get lost in without buying your product.

Maybe if you had a specific candle or holder highlighted right above the fold (the fold is the bottom of the page where you need to scroll up to see it, you want to have at least some of your sales stuff above this point), you would get more click-through on the sales items. For example, you could highlight one of the Amazon products or another one that is on your page further down, maybe rotate them.

Stephen
Stephen

digiblue
Trust:
First, congratulations for getting such a large amount of traffic to your site in only a few months well done!

A few suggestions:

1. Do you have Google Analytics installed? It would be interesting to know how long people are staying on your site, most visited pages, and search phrases that are leading people to your site. If you do not have it installed I would highly recommend it for greater insight.

2. I think the homepage content needs to be a bit stronger and highlight what you have to offer and what someone will get out of visiting your site. It is a bit to general and nothing grabs my attention. Link the words "please visit the JEWELERY PAGE" (jewelery page being a hyperlink to the exact page).

3. The navigation needs some improvement. Make it easy for people to explore your website and get to what they are after.

4. I think there is way too much going on in the sidebar. Too many banner ads, remove them or only focus on one specific offer. I do not see any value in having the widget. It may look cool but for conversion purposes it does nothing. It just leads people off your site and onto another persons Website where they could potentially monetize the traffic. Instead you could have an optin newsletter box, give them away a free gift (such as a report on best gifts for women) for the signup and then you can update them anytime there is a great gift idea or deal that you come across.

5. Maybe look into some CPA offers for this niche and make them your main promotion. I think free trial offers would go really well with this niche.

6. I would also suggest getting another image to display on the homepage that does not need to have attribution. Instead find a free to use stock image or purchase one to use. Because this link is the only one in the homepage copy it is another way for people to potentially leave your Website.

Overall, I would not say your site is bad (as you asked), but there are some things that can be improved on to get more conversions for the traffic that you have coming in.

All the best!
janice123
Trust:
Hi,

Thanks so much for the help you are giving me, my weekend is full with things to do!

I have started linking my tweets in the right direction.. to the products instead of the page. Made sense to me once it was pointed out. Thanks.

I will research landing pages, CPA not sure what this is but will find out, Google analystics sounds great, I'll get that. Fix up side banners, you were referring to the twitter widget? Looks good but makes sense that it could lead customers away. I had looked into a newsletter & using mailchimp.com, free double optin, up to a list of 500 if I remember correctly. I go have another look. Plenty for me to do.

I really appreciate your help & imput to improve my site for nothing many wouldn't. I have paid good money for training & am not getting it. To be truely honest I am sure they have totally scam me but I will not stop trying & I am determined to make my site work.

I can not say it enough. Thank you Guys, Thank you Affilorama.

Now I better get to work!!

Janice
nelsencaleb
Trust:
Hello Janice, I'm also new to this crazy IM stuff and I just wanted to say congrats on the 30k visitors but also wanted to make a suggestion. First is your text. It is all centered, but the good thing is when I was reading your source code is that you used css. If you look at the "gift features" and then move your eyes a-crossed you'll notice it's lower than "welcome"; if you could line those up I'd like the site much more. Next is your products. They are on the right side. Which just looks odd. I don't know if you did that on purpose or not, but I believe they should be on the left or centered. At the bottom you have "disclaimer text" overlapping an image that represents a navigation container.

These are just my pet peeves. It was making my eyes go screwy for some reason. I'm just a traditional guy I guess!

Otherwise I think you have a great site! Especially for your 1st 3 months in the business. You picked out a good template I believe. Also those 30,000 visitors is excellent work to. Also I like your domain name. I think it works very well for the niche your affiliating. I wish you more success and hope I helped some.

Sincerely,

Caleb
cassie
Trust:
Hi Janice,

I would suggest that the sentences in the paragraphs be more aligned with one another. It makes the whole page more visually appealing to the viewer.

When I first went to your site, my first inclination was to click away because it had a "clunky" feel to it.

Just trying to offer some constructive criticism.

Good luck.
janice123
Trust:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your imput. I have been playing around with it alot since I first posted this question so hopefully it is better . There are issues with my Template & the way that my site is set out that I have no control over. But I am trying to get them sorted.
I am considering starting over again but just want to make this one work first. Even though I'm still not getting the clicks. I will just keep trying.

Thanks
Janice
wk lee
Trust:
Hi Janice,

I visit your site and find out that it's stuffed with keywords where most are not targeted keywords or they are too broad like "buy flowers", "buy candles" and "buy chocolate". Two phrases "where to buy" and "where to find" have no significant values.

lee
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Hi Janice. I hate to drag you down, but as said before there is no focus to your site. I checked on page had 5 diffrerent products, and very little reason to buy any of them. there is not enough written content to give me any reason to trust your recommendations or products. basically your site screams "I just want your Money, I dont care about you".

I am not trying to be harsh here, but that is what I see. Now, you have done a lot of work here, and some tweaking shoudl make this a profitable site, although it will take a lot of work.

1. you have categories, but you need to be more focused. each product should have its own page within each category. You need to write about a 500 word article tartgeted to people who would be interested in this product.

Write about a problem that the product will help solve, and include an add for the product. each product needs its own page. People online are generally lazy. if they have to CHOOSE a product, the normally will leave. you want to target each page to one product and show how this product helps them.

there is no SEO in place. you need to do some keyword research and include those keywords in your pages. again these keywords should target buyers not just general keywords. people looking for jewelry may just be looking for pictures of jewelry, or browsing. someone looking for Aniversary gifts may just be browsing for ideas, and not really looking to buy anything.

however, if you target "diamond neclace with overnight delivery" well, that is someone who wants something fast. (not sure of any searches for that term, I just made it up)

I would recommend watching this video on keyword research:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-fEkBwdHM8

It will take a lot of work, but you can still turn this site around. If you cannot write the content yourself, then you need to consider hiring a writer. as it is, your site might accidentally make a sale eventually

also what have you done to market your site. based on your earlier post, all you are doing is twittering. that is part of your problem there. if all you are doing is spamming twitter, you are not getting good traffic anyway. instead, learn article marketing, and build links to your site. try to get your pages ranking in the search engines by choosing low competition keywords targeted to buyers. join social communities, and actually spend some time being social. build up a reputation as someone people can trust. you could probably do well witha facebook fan page, giving tips and advice on how to choose gifts. but it is about helping people solve a problem not about trying to make a sale.

people can sniff out someone that is just after their wallet. YOu have to learn why people want or feel like they need to buy the products that you are offering, and help them to realize that buying through you gives them a better deal.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

wk lee
Trust:
Hello Janice,

I strongly suggest that you watch these 2 SEO videos on aFFiLORaMA site.
https://www.affilorama.com/search-engine-optimization/top-6-on-page-seo-factors
https://www.affilorama.com/search-engine-optimization/on-page-seo-factors

lee
Last edited by sydney on 08 Dec 10 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 404 link fixed

janice123
Trust:
Hi James,

Thanks for the truth. I've gone from bad to worse. It is really hard to impliment my idea, Helping people find where to get their gifts, it does come across as though I'm after a sale, which honestly aren't we all. but that is not the driving intention.

I have 4 pages to work with so I think I may need to rethink the whole idea.

Thanks for your help

Regards Janice
janice123
Trust:
Thanks Lee,
Watched them both took notes and it has got me rethinking.
I've got lots of work to do! Thanks again for your help
Regards Janice
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
hmmm.. Not sure how to build a site that is any good on only 4 pages, honestly. my small sites are at least 10-15. content is needed to get good search rankings, and a lot of it.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

jennifer512
Trust:
Hi Janice,

I'm a newbie too so I can't give any advice regarding SEO or anything like that, but I did take a look at your site and I just wanted to give advice regarding the look and readability of your site.

To me, the first thing I noticed is that it looks rather messy. You don't need to capitalize so many words. Only words in titles should be capitalized except for minor words like "and", "to", "with", etc. With a bunch of random words capitalized, the page tends to look like a bunch of titles strung together instead of regular paragraphs.

Also, there are lots of spelling and grammar mistakes which gives it an unprofessional look. Sentences end in weird places and some don't have a subject in them. If you don't mind me giving an example from your gift basket page: "A Delicious Gourmet Treat for your Family & Friends. Would make a Perfect Gift for any occasion or event." A little rewording can make it more readable: "A gift basket filled with gourmet treats would make a perfect gift for family and friends on any occasion".

I also noticed on your flower page that some of the text is a smaller size and two different fonts are used. If you stick with the same size and style font the page will look much cleaner.

I think your website has potential. At the moment though, if I were looking for gifts and I came across your site I would click away from it based on how it looks and also that the grammar and spelling mistakes make it difficult to read.

I should warn you that I tend to be a spelling and grammar nazi so this just happens to be what I see (I'm the one everybody in the family goes to to have things proofread). Please don't be offended as I don't mean to "pick apart" your website, I just wanted to give advice regarding it's appearance and readability. You're many steps ahead of me, I don't even have a website up yet!

Good luck!

~Jennifer
ilham45
Trust:
Hi Guys
I have build my site xis month before as affiliate Marketer, But i could not make any sales because i do not have visitors to my site. Can anyone visit my site and make any suggestion to build more traffic to my site.
Thank you
ilham
www.mybaby.net.nz
stargate66
Trust:
Hi Janice

I agree mostly with James in this thread.

You are not getting sales because you are not getting targeted traffic. Doing just the Twitter thing ain't gonna work. I have done a check on just the first 5 of your keywords and you are not ranking for any of them, anywhere in any of the search engines. Sorry about the bad news, but the people searching for your keyword phrases (the buyers) will definitely not see your website, as the search engines do not even know about your website. (I can only imagine that you are doing some serious network postings on Twitter and the traffic you are getting is from people not interested in your product, or niche, or at all)

The only way to get the search engines to know, is to optimize each individual page targeting one, or at the most two, keyword phrases per page. And then the work begins to build back links with relevant anchor text (your keywords) to your site and to the individual pages . This is the tip of the iceberg.

I suggest you work through this Affilorama site taking your time to learn about the strategies. There is a lot of free information here, but I can even recommend signing up for premium membership. It is worth every cent.

Whatever you do, do not give up. Learn, take action and keep on taking action. Be patient and success will arrive.
For over all wellness you need a solid Omega 3 fatty acids intake
http://www.earth-edge.com

janice123
Trust:
Hi,
I am having great difficulty getting my head around these keywords I find that I either to general or not specific enough. I then feel I am repeating myself when using them.
I will keep trying, not going to let this bet me yet.

Thanks
Janice
stargate66
Trust:
Hi Janice

I've sent you a PM (private message) which gives you more info to help.

Cheers
William
For over all wellness you need a solid Omega 3 fatty acids intake
http://www.earth-edge.com

This topic was started on Jun 30, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.