Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Help With A Script - Alternative To Google Conv. Tracking

rudolf
Trust:

Help With A Script - Alternative To Google Conv. Tracking

Hi there!

We're running a review site with lots of pages, and our Adwords campaign exists of dozens of groups (in order to accurately target each keyword).

We have asked our affiliate manager to insert our Adwords conversion tracking code into the "Thank you" page but he refused. This affiliate is very profitably so we don't want to quit the program.

Unfortunately they are not in the clickbank directory so that's not an option. I was thinking of using the same principle used to cover affiliate links. Instead of:

[http://www.hop.clickbank.com] it would display: "http://www.mysite.com/product/".

In the /product/ folder there is an index.php file with the following code:

That works perfectly. However, what if this script can also be used to open another url first? In this case the url of a page located on my own site, that contains the Adwords code in the .html coding. For instance;

Would this work? Or does anyone know how to do this, or have a suggestion using a similar way?

I would really appreciate any help here. Currently we're still shooting in the dark and we're stuck with having to test each group seperately which is highly timeconsuming.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards, Maarten & Rudolf
Last edited by sydney on 03 Jun 10 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unlinked URL as it is only used for illustration and not an actual link

This account is managed by two persons; Maarten and Rudolf. You may find either of us posting individually with this account.

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I really have no idea, but I would guess that that code wouldn't work.

Anyway, you can always try putting the code up somewhere and test to see if it works.

Let us know how you go.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

rudolf
Trust:
It looks like I have figured it out.

Right now it works just like I wanted it to work. I've tested the code, and it works like a charm. Here it is:

I'm not sure if I needed the last "no script" part though, but I'll keep it there for now because it's not doing any harml.

Heres how the code works:

1. Create a link on your website that will lead to the product website.
e.g.: "Visit Cookiestore Website"
This link will have the following url: "http://www.mywebsite.com/Cookiestore/"

2. Create a folder called "Cookiestore" and upload it to the "public html" folder on your hosting server.

3. Create a file called "index.html" and put the code I posted above inside the "<body>" tags of index.html. Don't forget to replace my tracking code and the affiliate url with your own. Upload this file to the /Cookiestore/ folder.

4. To test, go to Google, type in your keywords, click your ad, and click the "http://www.mywebsite.com/Cookiestore/" link on your website. It can take up to 24 hours before Google updates conversion tracking, so be patient.

Note: Also check your affiliate account to see if your affiliate url is still working. I usually check how many raw visitors I have before I click my affiliate link. Once you've clicked, check again to see if one raw click has been added.

Regards, Rudolf
Last edited by sydney on 03 Jun 10 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unlinked URL as it is only used for illustration and not an actual link

This account is managed by two persons; Maarten and Rudolf. You may find either of us posting individually with this account.

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Good work Rudolf.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world