Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Google Analytics tracking for Wordpress

martinch
Trust:

Google Analytics tracking for Wordpress

Dear Affiloblueprint,

I would like to add a google analytics tracking to my website (a wordpress affiloblueprint theme). I can't find them in the week 9 lesson. Please help.

Thanks a lot beforehand.

Regards,

Martin Chandra
http://www.weightlossdrive.com
faradina
Trust:
Hi Martin,

You can paste your analytics code in the Custom Scripts (Bottom) field of the Affiloblueprint WordPress Theme Options.
PremiumMember
perswealth
Trust:
Also, is there a way to not include the clicks of you logging into your wordpress admin, or not include clicks from your home computer? I just want to be able to exclude those from the overall count.

I'm going to be doing alot of work on my site in the next several months and i don't want an inflated clicks number ALL from me.
faradina
Trust:
I'm afraid that there is no way to exclude your own visits from the google analytics reports but you can have an idea which visits are from you and which are from somebody else by looking at and comparing the different analytics reports. On my websites I figure out which visits are mine mainly by looking at the network location and connection speeds visitor reports; this is because my network location and connection speed is a bit unique. You may have to look at more and/or different reports to establish which visits to your websites are yours.
I believe that analytics will not record your visits to wordpress admin because your analytics code is only on your actual site pages and not on the wordpress admin page.
PremiumMember
perswealth
Trust:
Actually, i figured it out on Goggle Analytics. If you like, you can filter out the clicks based on IP addreses. All you do is add the IP addreses that you want excluded and GA won't show those clicks. For anyone interested, the steps are:

1) In your Analytics account, go to the domain you want to add this to, and click on,"edit".
2) Then go down to "filters applied to profile," and click on "add filter."
3) For "Filter Name," just put whatever you want that will help you remeber that it is that filter. I put "Exclude these IPS from Clicks." Something like that.
4) Then, under "Filter Type" open the dropdown menu and click on "Exclude all traffic from an IP address."
5) In "IP Address" field, you will need to put the IP addresses in a certain way.

NOTE: If you don't know your IP address, then go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and when you get there, it will tell you what your IP Address is.

6) So if you IP address is 66.546.90.1, will need to be put in like this: 66\.546\.90\.1\.

So that's it. There is also a way for you to put in a range of IP's if you wish. Hope this helps...
faradina
Trust:
Way to go, perswealth. Thanks for sharing. I'm going into my GA account now and do it like you did! This will certainly save me a lot of analyzing.
PremiumMember
perswealth
Trust:
Glad i can help Faradina. I've been asking so many questions that i want to start helping people too ; )
PremiumMember
perswealth
Trust:
Oh, and Faradina, there is actually a way to filter out clicks from logging in to your admin page as well. Unfortunately you would have to download the google analytics plugin for that. there is a section there where you just click on the options where you don't include logins to your admin area. I'm assuming that since they have this filter for the google analytics plugin, and that they are including logins into your admin area if you don't have this plugin.

I had the plugin, but deactivated it when i heard from some forum that a guy had problems with it. It was only one guy so maybe i shouldn't jump to conclusions about the plugin. I obviously don't want to include admin logins so maybe i should get this plugin reactivated.

Anybody else have issues with this plugin?

This topic was started on Aug 10, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.