Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Error 404 for Sitemap xml

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:

Error 404 for Sitemap xml

On my webmaster tools I have a 404 (Not Found) error for my Sitemap.xml. I have a human readable sitemap made with the Dagon design plugin and at the bottom it has a link saying View xml Sitemap but when I click it it goes to a blank page on my site. Is this why I'm getting the 404 (not found) error and if so should I somehow remove that link from my readable sitemap? If that's the case I'm not sure how to get rid of that link. I hope I've explained myself properly.
Thanks,
Catherine
pockets
Trust:
I'm not really sure of your specific problem Catmar but the only plugin I use for sitemaps is the google sitemap plugin for wordpress. When you search 'www.yourdomainname.com/sitemap.xml' can you see your sitemap?
faradina
Trust:
I'm confused, too, as an xml sitemap is not meant to be viewed by people and is rather meant to make it easier for the search engine bots to discover and crawl your site's pages.
You mentioned Dagon Design plugin. I do not really know that plugin. Why not try getting in touch with Dagon Design for assistance with their plugin?
PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:
Thanks for your replies. I used Dagon Design because I think Jason Dodd recommended it. Anyway it's a good plugin for a readable sitemap except that it also includes at the bottom a link to the xml sitemap (which I know is only for search engines) but it's there linking to a blank page on my site. I've just figured out that in the settings for Dagon Design plugin there is an option to include a link to the xml sitemap except I had entered the wrong url address(including the www. when I should not have). Anyway now when I search my domainname/sitemap.xml I can see it as Pockets suggests.
But is this a good idea because everyone can see this from my readable sitemap. Is it best to take it off or is it good for seo purposes? Just wondering.
Thanks,
Catherine

This topic was started on Dec 23, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.