Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Does having a shared host effect your rankings?

elmo033057
Trust:

Does having a shared host effect your rankings?

Dear Affilobuds and budettes,

Does having a shared host effect you standings in the rankings with companies like Google? I just moved to Host Gator and I was wondering if the extra moola was worth getting an independent IP.

Thanks, God Bless and Flame on!!! :mrgreen:
Mark Ellis a.k.a. "ELMO" Owner Ellistrations http://www.ellistrations.com

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
"What's a Shared IP?
Every domain name that is home to a website has an IP address assigned to it. An IP address is the real address of a website or server. Domain names were developed because it is difficult to remember long IP numbers like 234.123.66.7. Usually, in shared hosting where there are hundreds of websites sharing one server those same sites will share one single IP address.

For the hosting company this simplifies the technical aspects of hosting your website. Instead of having a unique IP address for every domain, they can all share one IP address. This makes it easier for them to manage and maintain the servers.

The downside to shared IP's is that if someone sharing your IP happens to get in trouble for spamming or scamming, your IP can get banned or blacklisted. You may not even know it until your site disappears from the search engines or your email start getting blocked by ISPs. In shared hosting the actions of others sharing the server can effect your site and cause problems.

What's a Dedicated IP?
Most larger websites or ecommerce enabled sites have dedicated IP addresses. This means that your site is the only one on the internet using that unique IP number. For example, if you typed 209.131.36.158 into your web browsers address bar you would see Yahoo!'s website come up. This is their dedicated IP address and no one elses. This is their unique address on the web that has been attached to the domain name yahoo.com.

If you have a business oriented website then you probably will need a dedicated IP address for your site. Especially if you have a merchant account and accept credit card payments on your site. You can't even get an SSL certificate for your website until you have a dedicated IP address. You can get around this by using a PayPal shopping cart or something else hosted off your site. But, most people don't like the idea of sending the customer to a new address to close the deal.

There is also the SEO or search engine optimizations concerns to consider. Many people have found that sites with a dedicated IP address do mysteriously better in the search engine results than those utilizing shared IPs. Often times security concerns drive people to upgrade their hosting account to include a dedicated IP address."

***Unique IP is the same as Dedicated IP***
elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilobud Adrian,

You da Man, You da Man, You da Man! Awesome writing and response. Thanks so much for all of your help. I think I'm gonna get a dedicated IP now. Thanks!

God Bless and Flame On!

ELMO :mrgreen:
Mark Ellis a.k.a. "ELMO" Owner Ellistrations http://www.ellistrations.com

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
I actually found that somewhere :) But the information is true.