Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Do I need to know Java and CGI to build a website?

bananas
Trust:

Do I need to know Java and CGI to build a website?

Hi guys, you can call me a slow coach if you like. I am slow but I think I am getting there. I have just finished hand coding my first website ever.

However, I got confused when I came across java and cgi.

My Question: Does java or cgi complement html or are they mutually exclusive? Is it possible to code a professional website using html (esp. ccs) and not have to worry about java or cgi.

Help me. Technology is not in my blood but I am capable of learning.
Last edited by michellerana on 16 Nov 09 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Bananas,
I think you will find that alot of folks here are not that technical when it comes to hand building a site from html code.
Most people use xsitepro, wordpress or Joomla.
If anyone does have some idea then I am sure they will comment.

Maybe you could look for some tech forums and people who love to hand code sites and program.
Anyway, feel free to browse the forum to learn more on affiliate marketing and welcome to Affilorama.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
You can definitely build a website without knowing CGI or Java (or do you mean JavaScript? They are different).

Thats the beauty of tools like WordPress - you can build a website without even knowing HTML. If you are building from scratch then some knowledge of CSS and HTML is a definite plus. To learn more try a website like www.webmasterworld.com.
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

bananas
Trust:
Yes, I meant javascript and not java.

The website I have already hand-coded. All I am wondering is whether I can publish or upload it without any java scripting.

Its a simple website with 10 or so pages that include 1 or 2 forms.
clarafaie
Trust:
JavaScript is used for functions that are embedded on web pages. It's use or non-use does not affect publishing or uploading.
I would not advise the use of JavaScript for functions because it is primarily client-side scripting. This means that it runs in the user's browser. If the user has it disabled, then the JavaScript based functions (pop ups, etc) will not display.

This topic was started on Nov 14, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.