Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Do Affiliates need SSL certificates?

sportakus
Trust:

Do Affiliates need SSL certificates?

I have a question about SSL certificates. When we purchase a domain do we need this for our sites if we are just affiliates? I purchase my domains at NameCheap and you get it free for one 1 year. When the free year is up should I purchase that service? I do not sale anything as I am only an affiliate so I only forward visitors to the sales pages or sites? Thoughts anyone? Thanks
michael025
Trust:
Hi Sportakus,

You only need SSL if your website actually processes the payment for a specific site....so, in our case, since we are working on affiliate sites and only redirect buyers to vendors, there wouldn't be a need for them....

As per the Verisign site:

SSL is only needed if:
- you have an online store or accept online orders and credit cards
- you offer a log-in or sign-in on your site
- you process sensitive data such as address, birth date, licence or ID numbers
- you need to comply with privacy and security requirements
- you value privacy and expect others to trust you.

If your website doesn't have any of the following above, then there is no need for SSL

Hope that helps : )
sportakus
Trust:
Hello michael025
Thanks for getting back so quick. That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure. Thanks again.

This topic was started on Mar 31, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.