Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Designing a WebSite

lunatunes
Trust:

Designing a WebSite

Well, I'm ready to start designing my website.
The only problem is that I have never designed one before and am not
quite sure where to start. I thought that I would just look at a bunch of other websites and pick one that I liked and use it as a template.
Anyone have any suggestions or maybe something I should read about
website design?

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:Well, I'm ready to start designing my website.
The only problem is that I have never designed one before and am not
quite sure where to start. I thought that I would just look at a bunch of other websites and pick one that I liked and use it as a template.
Anyone have any suggestions or maybe something I should read about
website design?

Thanks,
Randy

Yet ANOTHER learning lesson in the world of internet marketing :D

Have you decided on a program to use?

Here is something to help you get started.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_examples.asp

Adrian,
lunatunes
Trust:
adrian wrote:Here is something to help you get started.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_examples.asp

Adrian,

Oh man Adrian....I thought you said that was suppose to help...all that
did was make me dizzy :shock: ...lol

adrian wrote:Have you decided on a program to use?

I have two programs that I could use. Either Namo Web Editor or Design Dashboard.
I was leaning toward Design Dashboard.

Thanks,
Randy
spirit23
Trust:
Hmm... could you get your hands on Dreamweaver or XSitePro?
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Goto www.oswd.org for some good free templates. I hate looking at code too, thank god for dreamweaver :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
sean06 wrote:Goto www.oswd.org for some good free templates. I hate looking at code too, thank god for dreamweaver :)

If you want to be an expert you are going to have know code at some point or another. It is the only way to fine tune your website and remove little snippets of code that WYSIWYG throw in on their own. Also if you have a mistake such as a table not working correctly, most of the time only a "hands on" approach will fix it :)

Adrian,
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
It's a really good idea to spend some time looking around and see what sort of sites appeal to you. There are certain standard styles for sites that you'll quickly learn to distinguish. You can even sit down and plan it out on paper before you start building anything... nothing worse than getting halfway through building something and realising that everything is in the wrong place.

Templates are a good place to start, provided they're not too complicated. If they're really image-heavy then it might be hard to change the navigation and stuff like that.

Remember that we've got a couple of templates in the members section (the gnome and pie sites) that you can modify to start off. They're pretty safe in terms of being reasonably tidy HTML so it shouldn't be TOO intimidating to look at.

Both Dreamweaver and XSitePro are very popular in this forum. There are other programs available... basically once you get your head around one, it shouldn't be too hard to switch to another if you find you outgrow it. It's just learning the basics and then finding the relevant function in another program.

But like Adrian says, it's ALWAYS useful to know some HTML. No editor is going to be able to do everything. w3schools is a good place for the official word, but it's a little dry to sit and read for any length of time. Try http://www.yourhtmlsource.com for slightly more pleasurable reading.

I've got web designers working for me who refuse to use Dreamweaver and taught themselves by looking at other peoples' source code. If you've got the time and motivation, give it a go :)

Good luck!
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

lunatunes
Trust:
When you talk about source code and html, I am not joking when I say
that I have no idea what your talking about. So I dont think I'm going
to try it on my own at this point. Even dream weaver from what I hear
is a bit complicated for someone who knows nothing about web design.

I thought designing the site was suppose to be the fun part....so why am
I getting that sick feeling in my stomach again...lol

Has anyone heard anything about Design Dashboard?

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I've never heard about that one, I like dreamweaver. If you can use microsoft word, dreamweaver shouldnt be a problem.

I find the easiest way to learn code is to edit things in dreamweaver with the code window, then change over to WYSIWYG and see what you actually did.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

amroch
Trust:
I personally use Dreamweaver. It's great and pretty easy once you are used to it. But as a starter I think any WYSIHYG web site builder should suit you more than anything. There are quite a few available for free. Drag and drop makes life easier for beginners. At least I started it that way.

Also if you have MS FrontPage packed in your MS Office bundle - you can give it a try as well. My suggestion to lunatunes is just start from somewhere and you will soon discover that you have learned enough.

Another option is to hire some freelancers to design a website for you. Search the web and you can get it done much less than you think possible. I know sites who design simple 4-5 page sites for as low as $10-12.

Amroch
jaydebaca
Trust:
Extremely Stable with lots of good templates provided. Back to The Beach Software designers, and WEB STUDIO. You can try this program for 30 days. I have used DreamWeaver too, but find WebStudio easier to drive. Their Support and Forum is always their for you! http://www.webstudio.com/ -- I do agree with Adrian too in that you have to know some code to polish the edges. -- But I think that will come with time! Has anyone else tried this program? Jay