Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Could you review my site: http://ababyboyorgirl.com

green6771
Trust:

Could you review my site: http://ababyboyorgirl.com

Hi Guys,

I have been getting my site organised and am madly trying to build backlinks. I've mainly used AMA so far. The back link process seems to take ages! Is this normal??

I'd be really grateful if someone could have a look at my site and give me some feedback. The URL is: http://ababyboyorgirl.com

Thanks so much,

Jesse
paulie69
Trust:
Hey Jesse,

I've often wondered the same thing about the slowness of AMA backlinks myself. Apparently they gradually trickle links out to make it less "obvious" to G and make things appear more natural. But why on earth it can take months for even a few links to show up is beyond me. Google does seem a bit guarded about the number of backlinks they report though - perhaps they're just being cautious.

Actually, I think Google maybe a bit smarter than that nowadays from what I read - they must surely know an AMA-originated article when they see it. They're not that hard to spot if you look. So why would G want to give much value to such a link?

Perhaps too, a lot of the sites/blogs in the AMA network seem to be quite new and are only PR 0. Maybe those site's aren't even fully indexed yet! So again, G probably wouldn't (yet) hold much value in them(?) which may reflect from a backlink point of view, right?

It would be really nice too if more of them were > PR 0. I can't see how it's so good to get bulk numbers of links from PR 0 sites (albeit over time) - when we could and should be looking at patiently (slowly) getting generally much better quality links (from sites with, say PR >= 4) - which, let's face it, we can all do for free.

Anyway that's the approach I'm taking! It was way too expensive for me. I tried it for several months and haven't seen any value personally. Some people apparently love it. Fair enough - each to their own I guess - it's all part of learning! :)

Regards,
Paul.
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Jesse,
That actually is not too bad, but that banner is wayyy to big in my opinion.
Also, make sure you choose your keywords correctly. Buying keywords etc and write articles to match..

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

green6771
Trust:
Hi Troy,

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. Do you mean the banner at the top of the page (ie the one that is part of the theme??)

By buying keywords, do you mean like "product name review", or "buy product name"?? Are there any others you'd suggest?
Thanks again.

Jesse
green6771
Trust:
Thanks Paul!
wollowra
Trust:
I am not sure how you do it in Artisteer but yes, the banner with the women on it.
Half that size is adequate.
By buying keywords I just mean put yourself in the same frame of mind as the person who is reading your site.
for ex: if I want to buy a specific model of phone, then I would try to have model specific keywords or a review of that specific phone.
You seem to be on the right track though.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

green6771
Trust:
Thanks Troy
digiblue
Trust:
In regards to the header image, I agree with Troy, it is much too large and I think the catch phrase under "a baby boy a baby girl" needs to be shorter in length and to the point. Also think about changing the color as it blends in with the background too much.

If you are using SEO and AMA then you will have to accept the fact that it is a long and slow process in general. There are ways to speed it up by using web 2.0 but this is a whole different topic. Hang in there with your submissions and keep doing them, most people who do SEO give up because they don't see instant gratification in higher search engine rankings and traffic. Where they fail you can succeed...so keep building those backlinks!
stargate66
Trust:
Hi Jesse.

I can see you have done a lot of work so well done.

My constructive criticism.

I also don't like the colorscheme.Your wording is getting lost.

I would add a sitemap to the site (apparently the search engines like that).

You have some valuable "content" on your site that I would rather have used in the large article directories (and squidoo lenses!) to obtain backlinks in stead of having a lot of articles in any given category on the website itself. Personally I think you only need one of your articles per web page just by making it slightly bigger giving substance to the page. Also, if you do use these articles elsewhere, people will be ready to buy once they've read it and when they click through and land on any of your webpages there should be a call to action- just bear that in mind.

These are just my feelings...I'm just another newbie :-)

SEO is another matter. I have a "genuine" affiliate site that I have done absolutely nothing on since Nov 09 (didn't build a new site at all). The only thing I remember doing was submitting an article to freetrafficsystem. I rank No 1 for a particular keyword phrase on Yahoo! and I can tell you that my site, in my opinion is not nearly as relative as the other sites on page one...so who knows! I still think Google will sniff out these automated ways of submitting content all over the web, if they have not done so already. I am taking the hard and boring route :-( Quality, original, individual article submission to the right places like the major article directories and quality blogs that Google will never be able to find fault with.

Good luck with your site

William
For over all wellness you need a solid Omega 3 fatty acids intake
http://www.earth-edge.com

green6771
Trust:
Thanks William,

Some great feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look at it for me. Squidoo lenses are next for me.
Just chipping away, seems to take an age, but hoping to get there.

Thanks again,

Jesse
green6771
Trust:
digiblue wrote:In regards to the header image, I agree with Troy, it is much too large and I think the catch phrase under "a baby boy a baby girl" needs to be shorter in length and to the point. Also think about changing the color as it blends in with the background too much.

If you are using SEO and AMA then you will have to accept the fact that it is a long and slow process in general. There are ways to speed it up by using web 2.0 but this is a whole different topic. Hang in there with your submissions and keep doing them, most people who do SEO give up because they don't see instant gratification in higher search engine rankings and traffic. Where they fail you can succeed...so keep building those backlinks!

Hi DigiBlue,
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your thoughts, comments and advice. I keep thining focus, focus, focus so will see this path through (ie backlinks with AMA, squidoo, article directories etc) and see how it pans out.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Jesse
daria19
Trust:
Hi Jesse,

Congrats on the website. Just a couple of suggestions from me:

1. Your homepage needs a meta title tag and a meta description tag populated.

2. Use a number of different sources for backlinking (forums, directories, web 2.0 sites, social bookmarking, article directories etc) and use your main keywords as anchor text most of the time.

Cheers.
http://wp-robot.net - Create Autoblogs with WPRobot Wordpress Plugin

This topic was started on Mar 23, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.