Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Can't get GIFs to work in Wordpress

Trust:

Can't get GIFs to work in Wordpress

I'm about to rip my hair out, I've spent so long trying to figure this out...

My GIFs are NOT working, no matter what I do. I've tried deleting the GIF and adding it again, I've made up a new GIF and added it, I've put them in different posts, I've used a different GIF animator program.....nothing. I know that I am doing it right, as I have made several before now, and they all worked (and are still working) fine.

I did a Google search on GIF problems with Wordpress and found an old "solution" where the size parameters in advanced settings were supposed to be left blank. I've tried that too, and that doesn't work as well. My animation just stays stuck on the first frame, and doesn't change at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm out of ideas, and this little problem is driving me crazy.
"Some people say I've got a problem with authority, so what if I do man, it beats relinquishing control"- NOFX

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Are you sure it's wordpress? If you right-click on the image and go "view image" or whatever (just to get the image loading in your browser out of wordpress) does it still not work?

If you upload the image to your site using an FTP program and then view it in your browser (type the address in, avoiding wordpress altogether) does it work?

If it works in the second case, but not in the first case, then wordpress is doing some weird stuff when you use their uploader.

If it doesn't work in either case, then it's not wordpress ;)
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

Trust:
Thanks for the reply Aletta....

If I go to where I have my GIF saved on my computer and open it up, it's animated and works fine. The problem is when I upload it to my WP site. Then it doesn't "move" at all.

How I got the GIF in there was the same way it was shown in the "Blueprint" videos: I went to "edit post", then clicked on the "add an image" icon (looks like a dark rectangle inside a larger white one), left "from computer" highlighted, and double clicked on my GIF.

I also used UnFREEze to make the animation, like shown in the video.

For some extra "funkiness", if I publish the page with the messed up GIF and go to that page and click on that GIF, a new page opens where it is just the GIF animation.....which works perfectly.

I'm still not getting it. Does this help you at all?
"Some people say I've got a problem with authority, so what if I do man, it beats relinquishing control"- NOFX

Trust:
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

amita12
Trust:
I found the solution! It's pretty easy, to tell you the truth. All you gotta do is upload the picture else where (like photobucket) and then add that image in as a link.

So, let's say you're using photobucket. You upload the picture and then you look for the "direct link" option under the picture. Copy the address, go to your blog, click "add image", click "from url", and paste the address into the box. It totally bypasses your problem.

Good luck! hope you get this reply.
mike

This topic was started on Jun 10, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.