Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Broad Niche or Sub Niche Site/s

affil370
Trust:

Broad Niche or Sub Niche Site/s

Hello,

My apoligies for the newbie question still trying to grasp the basics.

Could anyone please advise, when starting out, the best way to go, as regards the type of website.

If I target a broad niche, lets say cooking :
Would it be more benefitial to have a main site, for future/branding expansion, with sub-niches within or ..
Would it be better to build smaller independent sites targeting sub/micro niches like S.E. Indian cooking.

I have been informed that targeted keywords within a url would rank better.
So does going for a broad name/url niche site hinder the sites chances:
or is that where sub-domains come into play.

Thanks for reading.
wollowra
Trust:
Welcome 370,
My thoughts..hmmm...
1 Main broad niche will be less targeted than a sub niche and if you are just starting out then I would say to build your sub niche site first so that you can learn the ropes and not stress about stuffing things up at the start.
I find beginners to be over analytical at first ( I know I was for my first site ..lol ) so just start it and learn.
You can always build on your sub niche later in that main broad niche in the same category.
Or you may just want to try a different sub niche altogether for a first site.

Also, IMHO Main niches will take longer to build up and take longer for the $$ to start coming in.
But they do tend to have a lot of long tail keywords which is a good thing in my opinion.

A site on snail shell painting will be ultra targeted, and a site on green snail shell painting even more ultra targeted.. although I would find it hard to write 40 articles on green snail shell painting.. gee.. is that even a hobby..lol.

In the end Mark always say's you want to turn your site into an authority type of site, so a Main niche is good but be prepared to really work on it and build it up over time. This may take more $$ to do at the start as it's a main niche.

But hey, Go with what your heart and common sense is telling you.. it will all be good in the end.. it's just that some sites take longer to build up than others.
Just my humble little thoughts...
:)
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

affil370
Trust:
Thanks Troy for your reply/time.

Your dead right as regards being over analytical.
Sometimes I feel paralysed when trying to move forward, I think that information overload is a factor.
All the information and direction tries to make us perfect as well as insecure: Clear as mud.

I suppose it's a matter of learning to walk before you can run. Your reply also made me think about split testing
my eggs before putting them into the basket.

This was a mountain for me, and with your clarity and logic it now seems passable.
I also take on board your comments regarding the hard work that is required.

Thanks again Troy for your relpy and your time. You are a credit to this forum.

Sincere Regards,
Steve.
wollowra
Trust:
No Probs,
I am sure others will have some thoughts as well and they may even differ in opinion and that is fine because what works for me, may not work for them and vice versa.
PPC is good for testing a market if you have a spare $100 to throw at it for research to get data.
You really need to do what works for you. Your path will be different from everyone else.
There is always more than one way to skin a cat... sorry to the cat lovers out there ( Like my Wife ).. hope she doesn't read that she hates that saying..lol

I liken it to reading.. when you first start you need to learn the letters and then the words... but you then need to learn how to put a sentence together, but not just any sentence, you need it to make sense and it also needs to tie in with the big picture of the story.
I have posted this elsewhere but I always ask myself this question now...
"Does This move me closer to what I WANT , FASTER than whatever else I could be doing?"
Ask this to yourself every day or every hour if you need to.

:)
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

winnetou
Trust:
Hi Troy and Steve,

I am just picking up on this older thread, as I struck the same problem in deciding how far down a niche I should go. I am just a beginner right now :-)
Thanks for the posts and answers it helped me out and shows how much knowledge is inthis forum.

Cheers
Stefan

This topic was started on Jun 29, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.