Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Bootcamp Blog - How to change header

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:

Bootcamp Blog - How to change header

Hi Guys,

So far I've only used the affiloblueprint theme to build static sites that use pages. I'm familiar with that now so I'd kind of like to stick with that but I feel I should give building a wordpress blog a go so I can keep learning.
I remember Mark saying somewhere that his static sites are more or less set and forget whereas the blogs need constant posting to keep them ranking. Is this correct?
With the static sites we are taught to create our own header with graphics but I can't find how to do this with the blog. I've found the video where Mark shows how to create your own theme with Artisteer but also says it's ok to use his. Can you change the header graphics on Mark's theme etc by uploading to images folder in filezilla the same way as for a static site.
I've looked through the bootcamp videos a dozen times to check if that's how it's done but can't find the information I'm after.

Thanks,
Catherine
chris72
Trust:
Hey Catherine

Unless you know css and are comfortable using it it may pay to use another theme that is more user friendly.

I haven't used the AB one for blogging but I can't see why it wouldn't work just as well for a blog as for a static site. Failing that check out the other themes that are available on Wordpress that do allow you to easily change the header.

Good luck,
Chris
Kick-Butt Writing Services http://rachaelmcnaught.com

Outstanding Quality PLR Packs http://niche-plr-products.com

Learn to be a Digital Writer http://thedigitalwriter.net/

faradina
Trust:
There is no easy way to change the header in the wordpress themes provided with the blog bootcamp. At least not in the way that changing the header is easy to do in the Affiloblueprint theme. But it can be done if you know how to edit images and are confident with downloading and uploading files.
So you will have to download the file named header.jpg from the theme files on your hosting server. It would be in public_html/wp-content/themes/<name of the theme>/images/
After downloading, you can edit header.jpg with any graphics software (like paint.net), but be careful not to change the dimensions of the image.
After editing, upload the header.jpg file to the same location you downloaded it from.
NOTE: save a copy of the unedited header.jpg file somewhere on your computer, so that you do not have to re-upload all the theme files in case you want to go back to using the original image on your blog for any reason (like if you don't like the way the edited image looks, etc.)
PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:
Thanks to you both for your replies. It doesn't sound easy to change that flight simulator header, can you suggest a wordpress theme for a blog that can be changed like the affiloblueprint theme.
Does it really matter whether a blog or static site is used? In terms of seo is it more beneficial to have a blog because of RSS and pings?

Thanks again,
Catherine.
chris72
Trust:
Hey Catherine,

If you don't want to use the AB theme then there are plenty of others available that'll let you upload pretty much any image, but with most you will not have the same control over the look of the site that you do with AB.

In Wordpress go to appearance, add new themes, tick any of the filter boxes that you want...eg custom header, number of columns etc and see what it throws back to you. dkret3 3.4 by Joern Kretzschmar is an example of a fairly basic one that I used to use.

To be honest, and speaking from experience, you could spend hours on this by the time you have worked out what all the options do (and don't) and still not be happy with the look of your site, so if you are super fussy (like most of us!) and don't want to have to get your head around a whole new set of instructions, then just use the AB one seeing as you already have access to it and know how to use it!

As for your second question, I don't know about the technical aspect of blogs vs pages, I'm sure that someone will answer that for you, but from a consumer point of view - my wife makes most of our online purchases and she hates blogs!

She will use them for information, to gather opinions, for research. She'll socialize on them and normally enjoy them, but when she wants to buy something she will hunt down a site that looks like an 'authority' site. Something that has everything clearly outlined in the sidebar, no bs and good, clear, balanced information within.

Now I know that there are some very cleverly designed blogs out there, but if she even gets a whiff that it is a blog, then her mind screams 'opinion!' and she will buy elsewhere..... and that was before she started on this IM trip!

It might be just her, but it also seems to echo the hop counts and conversion rates that we get from our blogs vs static sites.

Chris
Kick-Butt Writing Services http://rachaelmcnaught.com

Outstanding Quality PLR Packs http://niche-plr-products.com

Learn to be a Digital Writer http://thedigitalwriter.net/

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:
Thanks Chris,

I think I'll take your advice and stick with the AB theme. I agree with your wife, I also prefer websites over blogs from a customer point of view so I guess I should use a bit of commonsense and not over analyse everything.

Catherine
faradina
Trust:
Hi Catherine,

Even when using the AB theme, there would still be an RSS feed from your site. In firefox, look at the end of the address bar and you will see the RSS icon. Clicking on that will bring up the rss feed for your site. There is a plugin that you can use which will include pages in the RSS feed and you can also create an RSS button on the AB Theme
Hope that helps :)

This topic was started on Mar 27, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.