Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Blog vs. html site

sadonathan
Trust:

Blog vs. html site

Hi guys. Just signed up as a basic member or whatever- but it looks like I will definitely upgrading. I have only spent three minutes here but I can already tell this info is very newbie and step by step. I am a member of a black hat forum and huge amounts of info there by the way.

Anyway I know basic html. As in a can create a page with background, scrolling slideshow, putting things in tables etc. I don't know if it's ok to post adult links but I designed this site- first one- (url edited by moderator) for a phone sex operator.
Anyway I was wondering the pros and cons on an actual website vs. blogs.

One thing I can think of is that blogs are updated frequently but you can't do like pop ups on it (well I assume not- I do not claim to be an expert at all) In fact I am a totally newbie to marketing just happen to know a little about html.

I haven't fully decided how to go about my marketing. Thinking of starting up with a few small well done niche sites. Articles, linking, some automatic things like email, social network bots, blog comment blasters, etc. But wondering what the benefits and cons of each were. By the way I have unlimited hosting- though if buying a bunch of sites I would buy dot info but I did notice that I have a dot info that has been up for months and one same topic and niche on a wordpress and the free wordpress blog vs. the dot info blog got more visitors by far. Wonder why?
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
The answer is no on the adult links question :)

Knowing basic HTML will help, but it sounds like you're still right at the start as far as building a solid affiliate site.

Nothing saying you can't use popups on blogs. You can.

If you want a step-by-step course, I would recommend AffiloBlueprint. There's a lot of stuff in there that might have you rolling your eyes and sighing "newbies" because it is designed for newbies, but what you need is the market research and marketing side of stuff: How to find profitable markets, how to find targeted keywords, how to promote your site, how to build a newsletter list that will generate sales, etc. And the course covers that.

Mark has also done a "blogging bootcamp" short course in Affilorama Premium which is kind of a condensed version of AffiloBlueprint, but it's in a webinar format so it tends to be a little more randomly structured due to the viewer input.

I'm not just plugging courses because I work here... we see a lot of people coming in with quite a bit of knowledge to begin with, but they've got no idea how to put it all together. That's where one of the products above can help.

Otherwise you can bash it out with the free lessons, but it's hard to see the bigger picture.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

sadonathan
Trust:
Thanks. I will be watching and reading every video or lesson - saw the blogging bootcamp thing today- any who like I said I am so excited to get excited because I am definitely doing this. I already work at home so I have no excuses because I can work anytime. I know I will figure everything out. And once I start making money I will slowly scale up.

Thanks for the adult links heads up- wasn't sure.
zrozum
Trust:
Even though there are many positives with blogging, there’s one thing I’ve noticed about many who choose a blog over a website.
Blogging can often discourage beginners from learning the fundamentals of website creation and design. Unlike a website, you don’t need to learn anything about HTML, CSS or uploading files to publish a blog.
You might argue the same could be said about websites if you use an editor. However, even if you use an HTML editor like Dreamweaver or CoffeeCup for a website, you still have to familiarize yourself with the fundamentals of HTML at some point. (At least I had to.)

With blogs, everything can be done through a WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) control panel that comes with your blogging platform. You don’t have to look at a lick of code if you don’t want to.

Of course, this is no big deal if you find a blog template/theme that you want to use “as is”. But different html and php tutorials are neccessary if you want to customize large sections of your design or change it completely
Last edited by aletta on 12 Apr 10 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You only get a backlink if you contribute something good or original.

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Dammit, what's with all you people copy/pasting content from the web onto this forum all of a sudden?

Zrozum, your post is word-for-word copy/pasted from http://blog.2createawebsite.com/2009/07 ... ng-a-blog/ . Is this your site? Do you have any right to be pasting this content without attribution?

If you're trying to build backlinks then at least have something original to contribute, or you'll earn yourself a banning. Don't think we're not noticing.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

PremiumMember
pasquan
Trust:
Way to go Aleeta!!

When did you get back?

Nice to see you back.

Cheers
Mark

This topic was started on Mar 31, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.