Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Best Platform TypePad, Movable Type, or WordPress

rob3
Trust:

Best Platform TypePad, Movable Type, or WordPress

I'm an old school Dreamweaver guy who sees the benefit of moving on to dynamic web 2.0 site building.

I would like to know from the members here which platform you have had the best success with for website building.

I am looking for the platform that is intuitive and looks amazing.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and experience.

PremiumMember
toby101
Trust:
@rob3 - Wordpress, hands down
rob3
Trust:
OK - Thanks.

newstart
Trust:
For versatility and multiple creation options the choice would go to WordPress. In addition WordPress is free.

That being said, it depends greatly on your personal criteria. What are your perameters?
rob3
Trust:
newstart wrote:For versatility and multiple creation options the choice would go to WordPress. In addition WordPress is free.

That being said, it depends greatly on your personal criteria. What are your perameters?

Still defining those parameters -- thanks for asking and thanks for the help.

essexboyracer
Trust:
Out of the choices you seem to have, Wordpress. As newstart is hinting at, there is always a 'best tool for the job'. I personally find Wordpress great for a blog and general users to use to update it with posts.

I do however get quicker results using a more traditional CMS for fairly static pages of a site or those requiring a bit of custom programming, this is only down to my personal lack of Wordpress customization experience.
rob3
Trust:
essexboyracer wrote:Out of the choices you seem to have, Wordpress. As newstart is hinting at, there is always a 'best tool for the job'. I personally find Wordpress great for a blog and general users to use to update it with posts.

I do however get quicker results using a more traditional CMS for fairly static pages of a site or those requiring a bit of custom programming, this is only down to my personal lack of Wordpress customization experience.

I've built only two WP sites. I prefer Dreamweaver. I hate to see all those years put on the shelf becoming proficient.

Anyway, what do you mean by "more traditional CMS?" What online or software product do you mean?

evilla.drazen
Trust:
I highly recommend you use WordPress. It's features are definitely amazing, it's for free, and it's easy to use!
rob3
Trust:
evilla.drazen wrote:I highly recommend you use WordPress. It's features are definitely amazing, it's for free, and it's easy to use!

Thank you for that. So, the consensus on this forum is WP. Other sources I trust agree. Probably seems like a total no brainer to most of you but I am leaving the womb of years of Dreamweaver to go to the net level of dynamic web 2.0. It's not pretty from my viewpoint.

I'm considering Affiliate Theme for the WP builder.

chris72
Trust:
Just adding my WP .02 - for me it is great because it is so user friendly, but for you, you can probably get any theme and customize it to your own tastes.

I stopped using the Affilotheme just after the new version came ut, so you might need to check out the threads in the AB forum for feedback on it.
Kick-Butt Writing Services http://rachaelmcnaught.com

Outstanding Quality PLR Packs http://niche-plr-products.com

Learn to be a Digital Writer http://thedigitalwriter.net/

PremiumMember
toby101
Trust:
@Rob - as a dynamic web 2.0 platform wordpress is good but it does have limitations in comparison to dreamweaver.
It depends on why you want to make a change and what exactly you're looking to do with it.

There are some pretty powerful WP themes out there - if you understand stuff like CSS and PHP etc and are interested in customising then Theme Hybrid is probably the most advanced - its free too. The premium themes Genesis and Thesis are very highly regarded in the WP community. Affilotheme is fine for basic affiliate sites. But remember WP is primarly a blogging platform so when creating static sites you're always fighting against its inherent nature.

Although I've never used it XSitePro sites look really good with affiliate sites - you can tell the difference straight away compared to WP.
rob3
Trust:
Well, what I've don after a lot of help from you all is buy DIY these for those sites that need the powerful content management of WP. I AM going to put a couple of Dreamweaver sites out there from templates and .css I have developed over the years.

Using those templates I created might be faster until I become proficient with Thesis. I like the ability of Thesis to let me add .css burt the PHP calls are going to be a little touch to grasp. Luckily I can rely on Dreamweaver s .css building tool to help. I can't hard code .css.

For now I am unable to grab a free theme because I have to rely on major support while I deal with these php calls.

essexboyracer
Trust:
rob3 wrote:I've built only two WP sites. I prefer Dreamweaver. I hate to see all those years put on the shelf becoming proficient.

Anyway, what do you mean by "more traditional CMS?" What online or software product do you mean?

"All those years" building sites in dreamweaver won't go to waste, you could still use dreamweaver to construct templates and stylesheets, just the way a site is managed would be different.

In moving to an online solution, like wordpress, you may find yourself getting deeper into hand coding, rather than using the point 'n click interface of dreamweaver. This is no bad thing as it will teach you the fundamentals of building templates and CSS stylesheet rules and make you better skilled.

"more traditional CMS" means a program that is used to build websites that have pages which don't update frequently. Examples include, Joomla, CMS Made Simple, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... nt_systems etc etc

Wordpress is a blog and was built from the ground up to provide a way for people to have a weblog, frequently updating content and along the line, comments, tags, archives etc. Blogging is a specific term to reflect a certain online activity, much like a 'forum' describes another activity.

As for PHP calls, I would go grab yourself a coffee and skim read some of the help info at http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page to get a quick feel for what is going on with wordpress. I think you'll soon find all you need is Firebug installed in firefox and the desire to succeed.
thel.online.ph
Trust:
Wordpress is the best. In wordpress, you don't need to upload your site each time you add a page, you do that all through the web and it's generally pretty easy to update.

WordPress also features integrated link management; a search engine-friendly, clean permalink structure; the ability to assign nested, multiple categories to articles; and support for tagging of posts and articles.

This topic was started on Sep 06, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.