Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Best location for articles on home page of website?

geoff pun
Trust:

Best location for articles on home page of website?

to marks & all others,

from your experience and from a customer & search engine point of view, what the best way to display articles? at home page obviously, place in column? organise in sub catogories?
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I have them in sub categories in a menu on the left side, but that's just me.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hey Geoff,

It really depends on what the purpose of the article is! Articles can perform a number of jobs -- they can be kind-of sales pitches, they can be optimized for long tail search terms, they can help boost the relevancy of your site through siloing, and they can also (who would have figured?) provide good content for users browsing your site. If you're lucky they can do all of these things at the same time.

Where you put them on your site depends on where they fit into the picture. For instance, some people don't list their articles on the front page of their SEO site, but have a small link to an articles page which lists them all. They use the articles for long-tail search terms and deep-linking, but rely on the content of the front page to provide affiliate sales.

For other people, the idea is that the longer you can keep someone on your site, the more opportunity you have to sell to them, so the articles are featured more prominently (particularly if there's a short sell at the bottom of each article!).

From a search engine perspective, so long as your articles are siloed (which really means "linked to related articles") and there's a way for the search engine spider to get to them, you should be fine. Doesn't hurt to get a few deep links to your articles either.

Now discovering that I haven't actually answered your question... The easy answer is "place them in a column until the list of them gets too unwieldly to comfortably list in a column. Once this happens break them down into sub-categories." You want to walk the line between having it look like you've got a lot of content on your site (so people dont' just bounce out of there) but not having it look so confusing and intimidating that people don't know where to start.

Hehe, it's a bad thing when I start waffling.

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

geoff pun
Trust:
:D thanks mark , i think i sort know what you mean, got to chew over that now. :shock: