Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Affilotheme setup

rtkellie
Trust:

Affilotheme setup

I've installed Affilotheme in a directory on my website, so I can play around with it and basically check out how it works. The problem is that when I go to Wordpress Themes, I see the thumbnails of the different jetpack themes, but when I activate one of them (AffiloTheme - SuperMassive, for instance), none of the thumbnails in the theme are generating (in layout or on the published site). When I click on an image to view it, I get a timthumb.php error that says it can't create a cache folder, etc. I've googled it extensively, and I've chatted with a Hostgator tech, who actually went into the theme and saw what I was dealing with. She whitelisted everything in the timthumb process, but still to no avail. Has anyone had this problem, and what do I have to do?

Thanks,
RichP
leuryp
Trust:
Hey Rich,

Did you follow these directions?

https://www.affilorama.com/support/our-p ... press-site

I use Hostgator myself and I installed it with no issues whatsoever.
rtkellie
Trust:
I've done all that, but still i get no thumbnails. I sent an email to support. Maybe they'll be able to help.
rtkellie
Trust:
I realize now that the wordpress setup has to be in the root directory of a domain, not in a sub folder. You can can install into the root of a sub domain or an add-on domain, but not a sub folder or directory within a domain. Once I did that, everything works fine! :)
leuryp
Trust:
rtkellie wrote:I realize now that the wordpress setup has to be in the root directory of a domain, not in a sub folder. You can can install into the root of a sub domain or an add-on domain, but not a sub folder or directory within a domain. Once I did that, everything works fine! :)

I knew something weird was going on there. Glad you solved the problem!
neildmd
Trust:
I have wordpress installed in my root directory but I'm having the same issue as the original post. All thumbnails come up blank after activating any Affilotheme's and trying to configure the layout. I followed the directions to a T but no luck. Anyone have any idea's to solve this problem?
neildmd
Trust:
Well I managed to figure this one out on my own. There were 2 separate issues that were preventing timthumb.php from executing properly.

First, I had to install php-gd...

On CentOS/RHEL:

yum install php-gd (If it says the package is not available see the bottom of this post for a solution.)

The second problem was that when I uploaded Affilotheme to my server I was logged in to FTP as root, which caused all of the files to be owned by root and prevented the scripts from running. Here's how I fixed it:

Switch to your public_html directory or whatever your document root/wordpress root directory is then run the following commands:

cd /wp-content/themes

chown -hR cpaneluser:cpaneluser affilotheme_2/ (replace cpaneluser with your actual cPanel user name)

If you've been having other php/script related issues you can instead run the above command on your whole wordpress directory.

Now just restart apache/httpd and you should be good to go! ('service httpd restart' or 'service apache restart' depending on your setup, minus the 's)

php-gd package not available solution:

First, back up your yum config:

cd /etc
cp yum.conf yum.conf.bak

Now check the file with your favorite text editor (I like nano myself):

vi /etc/yum.conf

or

nano /etc/yum.conf

or

pico /etc/yum.conf

and look for a line starting with exclude=if php-gd or php* . Remove all instances of this and save the file. Now you should be able to install php-gd via: yum install php-gd (or sudo yum install php-gd if you're not logged in as root)

After you get php-gd installed correctly be sure to restore the backup of yum.conf since the php block in there protects your cPanel from getting messed up:

rm yum.conf -f
mv yum.conf.bak yum.conf

Return to the first step and follow through.
PremiumMember
russ1
Trust:
This is a pretty basic question but after following the instructions to a tee regarding placing a Header on my site it just comes up with tiny tiles/triangles. I clicked save and all that but I just can not after a zillion attempts and constant views of the instructional video's to get it to work.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated, I've been several nights on this.....:(

Russ
neildmd
Trust:
Russ, please see my post right above yours. I had the same problem and this fixed it 100%.

russ1 wrote:This is a pretty basic question but after following the instructions to a tee regarding placing a Header on my site it just comes up with tiny tiles/triangles. I clicked save and all that but I just can not after a zillion attempts and constant views of the instructional video's to get it to work.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated, I've been several nights on this.....:(

Russ
PremiumMember
russ1
Trust:
neildmd wrote:Russ, please see my post right above yours. I had the same problem and this fixed it 100%.

russ1 wrote:This is a pretty basic question but after following the instructions to a tee regarding placing a Header on my site it just comes up with tiny tiles/triangles. I clicked save and all that but I just can not after a zillion attempts and constant views of the instructional video's to get it to work.

Russ

Thank you.........I'll give it a go!..........appreciate your help!

This topic was started on Jun 02, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.