Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

"Add comment" boxes at bottom of articles

quantumsolutions
Trust:

"Add comment" boxes at bottom of articles

Another question:

Is there an easy way to get those "add a comment" boxes at the bottom of your articles?

I've done some research but can't find an easy solution.

Thanks for any advice.

Keep on keepin' on.
Susan

http://www.goji-europa.com
PremiumMember
simonq
Trust:
Hi

I had a look at your site - its really good

Are you making much off it yet? Mind me asking how much?

I use the comment script off this site http://www.gentlesource.com/

its REALLY good and free!

Hope u like it, I've spend ages looking around and its the best one I found.

Simon
PremiumMember
simonq
Trust:
... Actually Susan I just noticed your webpage is made using <tables>

Tables are the old way of making webpages and arn't so easily indexed by search engines so could harm your search ranking when you go to search engine optomise your site.

Your best to use <div> tags and CSS. It took a while for me to figure out but once you do its easy and you see why its better.

Ok. Keep on keepin on.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
The problem with tableless web design using div tag ids and CSS is that you have to use absolute positioning with CSS and at this time, it may really screw up your site design in some browsers.. shouldn't be that much of an issue though. Tables still do the trick for now.
quantumsolutions
Trust:
thanks for the comments. I don't think I'm ready to tackle the tableless approach right now but it's good into to know.

I have another question I'll post in new topic

Peace, Susan
ryang
Trust:
I don't know where on earth you heard that, but using table design on a website will NOT harm your rankings haha. As a matter of fact, using tables you can actually guide spiders to where you want them. Where did you hear tables can harm your rankings?? Even the latest softwares like dreamweaver 8 etc still use table tags in their html code.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
This is kind of off the topic but oh man I need to set the record straight here :)

1) Tables do not *directly* harm your search engine rankings. The search engines don't go "ACK, A TABLE! DOWN! DOWN!" There is the slight possibility that a higher code to text ratio could hurt you (tables use gobs more code than the humble DIV) but any real problems are more due to the structure of your site and the way it fits into the table than the table itself.

For instance, by using a table structure you could end up having the content of your left navigation bar appear first (from a search engine spider's perspective) rather than the actual content of your page, since the spider will read the entire content of your left TD before it reads your right TD. The first 50 words or so of your page are quite important from an SEO perspective, so it's a good idea to make sure your best material is in there, NOT your navigation.

This is where DIVs can be handy: You can have one main section for your content floated to the right and appearing first to the search engines, and your left side navigation appearing further down the page (when reading the HTML) but floated to the left. This isn't easily done with tables.

2) Adrian: Mate, sorry to bust your bubble, but tableless design, CSS, DIVs and all that guff is entirely possible without using "position: absolute;" once. The reason it can mess up in different browsers is due to different "default" values for web page elements that you don't specify yourself (for instance, how much space (margin or padding) should there be between paragraphs? How much space should there be before and after divs? etc) and because most people dont' know how to specify a Doctype, which means that the browser doesn't know what "type" of (x)html you're using. (Yes, there are different flavours, and changing your Doctype can change the entire appearance of your page. If you don't specify it's giving them free license to do whatever nasty things they feel like doing.)

Specify a doctype and do a global reset for your CSS and you're almost guaranteed similar displays across browsers. Of course there will *always* be issues with Internet Explorer, but if we ignore it it'll go away eventually :)

Ok, that was waaay geeky.
I'll go back to my pizza, coke and WoW now :)

Aletta
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

PremiumMember
nick
Trust:
Thanks for clearing that up Aletta :-)

mmm pizza and coke. WoW.... not so mmm :P