Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

A Newbie here asking for a Site Review

dsedov
Trust:

A Newbie here asking for a Site Review

I have originally posted in the hangout section and michellerana kindly pointed out that I should rather submit my sites for a review here. I have just started my journey into affiliate marketing with the same dream you all guys have ( not a dream for some of you of course) So I tried to do the WoW website as the first test project. Hope to get your comments ( http://wowspro.com ) Anyways, I am a designer by profession, so I try to make them beautiful. I'm also running a blog which does not monetize right now, but gets about 1000 users a day ( http://seqmag.com ) .

So I started with Premium membership and think this will help me get this affiliate dream going on! Watched the webinar, which was awesome by the way! Well, don't know what else to say, just want to be a part of this wonderful community.
PremiumMember
sonelt
Trust:
Hey DSedov,
First off your graphics are awesome! I wish I knew how to do that kind of designing!
BUT...When I first got on the the page I was not sure where to go, Where is your call to action, the click here? or the guide to the right.

If you want to know where your traffic is making you money you should only have the one offer on one page. Just my opinion.

The graphic on the top of your page is taking up way too much real estate.
I like your call to action that is nearly at the bottom of the first page but it will do much better for you if you were to put it at the top right so that you don't have to scroll down to it.

Also, your site is much, much better looking than that of your landing page or merchants page, this might confuse people.
Just a thought. Test, test, test, track your results and tweak!
It is a very beautiful site, but beautiful doesn't always mean it will make money:)
Free marketing help http://www.bummarketingmethod.com/ProjectMom.html

Get the best email auto-responder in the biz, http://aweber.com/?346876 . Get a trial offer 30 days for a dollar.

dsedov
Trust:
Thanks a lot for the tips. I will work more on layout today. The problem is that I can't really test what works better, as I virtually have no traffic right now. I had done two article submissions so far, but looking at the google's front page for the "wow strategy guide" keyword, I think it will be long till (if ever) I get there. Any tips on marketing this to get more natural SEO traffic?
wollowra
Trust:
I agree with the comments above.
I don't like sites that have a scrolling bar at the bottom, they are terrible.
Just up and down is fine.
For SEO you can go through some of the lessons here at affilorama.
Or the affiloblueprint is good as well.
The best thing you can do is get some highly relevant, targeted keywords and keyword phrase backlinks to your pages.
The .gov or .edu domains are good to get link backs from.
SEO is about reading and applying what you learn and then tweaking a few things here and there.
and as was said above, Test, test and Test.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

dsedov
Trust:
I have moved "call to action" up in the front page.
Troy- Regarding scroll bars at the bottom - It just happened to be that I actually do play World of Warcraft and it perfectly fit as a startup ( followed Mark's webinar ). So being a Warcraft Player, you should have quite a big resolution screen, and that site does not have any scrolls even on my small screen at work, which is 1600px wide, while the site is 1224px wide.

Do you think that PPC would be a good start for this site, or should I follow more of a free SEO traffic path?
jpastorizo
Trust:
DSedov,

I think that being a good designer is to your disadvantage at the moment. It is because you focus on making the site look nice/beautiful and not designed to convert. Go through the lessons here in Affilorama (if you havent done so) and you will soon be on your way to making money.

PPC or SEO? You can market in WoW using both. You have to create a PPC landing page that is designed to convert. As with SEO, it is a lot of work. If you have the money to outsource most of the SEO stuff I suggest that you start now so can get the hang of it as soon as possible. So you're targeting the keyword "wow strategy guide"? If you check the sites on the 1st page of the SERPs you will notice quite "a few of us" are from Affilorama - yes my site is on there =) So it definitely is doable.

I am interested in your blog which you say is getting 1000 users a day. You said it is not monetizing? Has it made you money before and changed your plan or was it a hobby and now gets 1000 users a day? Id like to see some statistics and if you do accept ads please let me know. You may contact me through my blog at http://www.jonpastorizo.com and we can talk business from there. Looking forward to hearidng from you.

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

wollowra
Trust:
DSedov wrote:I have moved "call to action" up in the front page.
Troy- Regarding scroll bars at the bottom - It just happened to be that I actually do play World of Warcraft and it perfectly fit as a startup ( followed Mark's webinar ). So being a Warcraft Player, you should have quite a big resolution screen, and that site does not have any scrolls even on my small screen at work, which is 1600px wide, while the site is 1224px wide.

Well I have a 2 x 17 inch monitors, old I know but it suits my needs for what I do and how I am set up here.. plus I love the resolution on my main screen. Maybe I will upgrade this year.
I am not in the WOW market but what you said makes sense about WOW players having wide screens, but is that your opinion or have you tested it? Just trying to look at it from all angles.
Maybe 30% of wow players have 17 inch square screens?

I still think there is too much space at the top. maybe reduce the logo by 30%

anyway, good luck with the site.
Kind Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

dsedov
Trust:
jpastorizo: Sent you an email through a form on your blog
wollowra: I do consider changing design to fit smaller screens, and I totally agree about the header taking to much space. WoW's interface would not fit on 17" screen though =)))
Here is a link to Wow's official site: http://www.wow-europe.com I tried to do mine to resemble the official site, so that visitors would have more trust on information I give them

This topic was started on Feb 17, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.