Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

A Free html editor, one that can handle php

artios
Trust:

A Free html editor, one that can handle php

Does anyone know of a good Free html editor, one that can handle
php that a "newbie" like me could use that works for both Windows
and Linux?
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Define "handle PHP"

All html editors will be able to edit PHP code. If you're wanting a WYSIWYG editor that will allow you to preview a page that contains PHP code, that's a different matter.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

artios
Trust:
Yes. That's what I'm looking for.
Thanks.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
PHP is a server side language. The thing that reads the PHP code and figures out what it's all going to look like lives on your web server, not inside an editor program. I don't know of any WYSIWYG editors that will process PHP on your computer and show you a true rendering of what your site will look like when uploaded. Usually you have to either upload your site to the web to preview it, or set up a virtual server on your computer or local network.

You can still do some HTML design stuff using a WYSIWYG editor, but just don't expect any content that is generated by PHP to show up in the preview.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
On the other hand, there ARE some code editors that can show you where your PHP code is properly formatted (for the most part). Though, just because it's properly formatted doesn't mean it will work like you expect ;)

I've been using a text editor, Notepad++. It's like the notepad that comes with windows, but had a lot of additional features, including the ability to show formatting for several different languages, including PHP, HTML, and CSS. And, since it works with plain text, it's also safe to write articles in to copy over to Wordpress and/or XSitePro ;)

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

artios
Trust:
I'll try Notepad, Grady. Thanks.
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Notepad++. You can do a search for it. It's an open source project, so it is free.
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

This topic was started on May 09, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.