Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Will Google crawl my sitemap if I use nofollow?

PremiumMember
spunky
Trust:

Will Google crawl my sitemap if I use nofollow?

If I use rel=nofollow on my site map link, will Google still crawl it to see what is on my site?

I know it will not pass off pagerank but wasn't sure if it blocked bots as well.
Last edited by faradina on 26 Apr 10 1:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: seo

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Google won't crawl your site map if you use no follow (unless they have crawled it already).

Google may still index it but will not transfer PageRank or anchor text across the links.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

faradina
Trust:
Do you mean that you put nofollow on the link to your human-readable sitemap?
If yes, then it does not matter, google will still be able to crawl your other pages if there are links or backlinks to them that are not nofollow.
However, if you put nofollow on the links (to other pages on your site) that are on your human-readable sitemap, then the bots may not crawl the pages linked to from the human-readable sitemap.
But it would still be possible for bots to crawl your pages if you submit an xml sitemap to the webmaster tools of each SE.
For more information about what nofollow does, you can go to http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=96569
PremiumMember
spunky
Trust:
Thanks ladies!
erniewright
Trust:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks michellerana,faradina , for share your knowledge with us.

Thanks
Ernie wright

This topic was started on Apr 23, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.