Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

why so many people say to use social bookmarks

mark schaaf
Trust:

why so many people say to use social bookmarks

I didn't start signing up for social bookmarking sites till a few months ago and didn't find out till a week ago that almost all of them don't show as giving back links that they are no follow. So my question is why do so many people say to use social bookmarking to get quick back links if you don't get back links from them. I was told in the forum the other day that the real reason to use then is to join the community and promote that way which is find and would be ok to do on a few social bookmarking sites but i feel like I wasted 5 days signing up for all the sites I did. That is why I go on forums and ask questions, so i can have good information. If I had known how they work I would have joined maybe 5 or 6 of them and done what I was recently told to do and engage people on the sites, If we don't get back links from these sites why does everyone keep telling us to use them for back links? thanks
Mark

PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
So my question is why do so many people say to use social bookmarking to get quick back links if you don't get back links from them.

I don´t Know, a lot of people says a lot :). In the end it comes down to strategies, my opinion about social bookmarking is that it is good for indexing new content but not much more. The thing is that social bookmarking was quite power full a few years ago but they got so much spammed and those links got devaluated by the search engine... and they are quite good also at detecting spammy stuff and remove it.

And with all these voting systems and stuff that is in place on the best social bookmarking sites, has forced user to actually post content of "social value" and I do think that most people don´t find articles like "7 ways to get rich with a click of a button" having too much social value :). Sure if you get 50 digs in digg you are probably going to get some really good traffic but I think its going to be tough in almost any Clickbank niche. Maybe if you had some cool dog doing some cool things in a cool youtube video :).

All in all its good for indexing stuff fast. Links does not carry much value unless your stuff gets liked a lot. So you have to put in some social effort and provide cool stuff.... Mostly i find social bookmarking a waste of time... but good for indexing...
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
My brother, James, uses social bookmarking a lot. He says he doesn't get rankings from it. Rather, he uses social networking to build relationships with potential customers which leads to traffic to his site.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Grady is right, and No offense to Matt, but the reasonso many other people fail at social bookmarking is because they don't take the time to do it right, they write bad content, and they spam their own links without providing any real value to the community on those sites.

I have sites that have gotten good traffic through social bookmarking, but I rarely actually boomark my own sites. I bookmark other people's sites, and good content that I find. I build relationships with the people I meet on the social bookmarking sites.

Also, bookmarking by itself isn't always the best, but if you combine it with other social marketing tactics, and networking with other marketers in relevant niches, you can get a lot of benefit. As a blogger, a lot of my friends and followers on my bookmarking accounts are other bloggers. We help each other out by bookmarking each others content. We also do a lot of other things to share information.

I also find that bookmarking helps other bloggers find my latest content, and if they like the posts, they will link to my siite, sharing it with my members, so although I didn't get direct traffic through that bookmark, I got exposure that led to me getting traffic.

One last thing, through my testing, I find that I get better results with bookmarking on my blogs than on my static sites. I think a large part of that is that my blogs have about 1/10 of the advertising as my static sites, (yet make more money).

Bookmarking can be a powerful marketing tool, when you take the time to do it properly. Spamming them (which is what 90% of the marketers do) is just a waste of time, and as Matt says, if that is what you are doing, you are wasting time.

However, if you really engage the community, make friends, share interesting things that you find online (funny you tube vids. cool blog posts, etc...) you can get a lot of great results from bookmarking. Also it varies depending on your niche, and which bookmarking site you are using. For example, Delicious Has been the best results for me with the IM niche as far as traffic, but with my relationships sites, I get more traffic through stumbleupon. Self help niche, I am fairly new into, but so far I am getting best results from Digg and Mixx, (about the same with both) and a close 3rd being stumbleupon. So, yyou have to do some testing, and see which bookmarking sites work best for you.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

chris72
Trust:
Have to agree with James.

There are also some niches that work better when marketed socially and some that get better results from SEO.

If you are using social sites for the links - forget it you are just wasting everyone's time. But if you think of them and use them as a proper social network - like the local pub only more targeted, then it is the relationship that you build up with people that gets you the sales.

It doesn't take too much time to build up your reputation and the great thing is that you don't have to rely on Google or anyone else for your results.
Kick-Butt Writing Services http://rachaelmcnaught.com

Outstanding Quality PLR Packs http://niche-plr-products.com

Learn to be a Digital Writer http://thedigitalwriter.net/

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Everything with most marketing you do is about the relationship that you build with people. It doesn't really matter where you do the relationship building.

Some people focus on seo and funnel people into an email list, or into their blog, some people go directly to the source, and build the relationship up front. The important thing to remember is that the relationships you build today will affect your sales (either positively or negatively) tomorrow.

Personally, I find that the best way is to build relationships up front, send them to my blog, build it further, and get them on my list and buiild it even more. the next level (which I am working on for the first of the year) is to focus towards the buyers by starting up a membership site, where you can build even stronger relationships with proven buyers.

A great way to start this part of the process is by joining membership sites within your niche, and connecting with other people's buyers (hmmmm, anyone figure out why I spend so much time in the AJP and AB forums yet?), but eventually, you may want to start your own.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

skledeny
Trust:
mark schaaf wrote:I didn't start signing up for social bookmarking sites till a few months ago and didn't find out till a week ago that almost all of them don't show as giving back links that they are no follow. So my question is why do so many people say to use social bookmarking to get quick back links if you don't get back links from them. I was told in the forum the other day that the real reason to use then is to join the community and promote that way which is find and would be ok to do on a few social bookmarking sites but i feel like I wasted 5 days signing up for all the sites I did. That is why I go on forums and ask questions, so i can have good information. If I had known how they work I would have joined maybe 5 or 6 of them and done what I was recently told to do and engage people on the sites, If we don't get back links from these sites why does everyone keep telling us to use them for back links? thanks

Social Bookmarking is a nice way to share and save your favorite website online so that the user can access it from anywhere.Every time you add a bookmark to one of your pages in one of these sites you create a backlink. If you bookmark every piece of content you create in all of these sites you can build a lot backlinks over time. For best results, you want to make sure that the bookmarking sites provide a real, do-follow link. There is much debate as to whether or not no-follow links are still useful so I won’t get into that here. However one thing you do want is a real link. Several sites don’t provide real backlinks – they use their own form of dynamic link which does not count as a back.

local seo services | organic seo services

This topic was started on Dec 21, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.