Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

What does "allinanchor" actually show?

bigarsenalbear
Trust:

What does "allinanchor" actually show?

Hi there,

I've got a technical question about the allinanchor search command you can do. Basically, I'd like to know what it actually shows!

I've Googled this question and either don't understand the answers or think the people answering it are as confused as I am or find that the answers are conflicting!

I think I understand the allintitle command. If you typed in:

allintitle: dog training tips

Google would (I believe) list all the pages that have the words "dog" "training" and "tips" in that order in their title tags.

But what would

allinanchor: dog training tips

show?

The resources/articles I've read suggest conflicting answers. The two commonest suggestions seem to be:

(i) It shows every page that has a "dog training tips" link on the page itself
[i.e. a page is listed if there is a link on that page with the anchor text: "dog training tips"]

(ii) It shows every page that is linked to from another page with the anchor text "dog training tips" on the other page

[i.e. a page is listed if another page links to it using "dog training tips" as anchor text.

Can someone who really knows tell me which one it is? (if either of these)

It seems to me that there's a very big difference between these two operations

And what confused me was that there were tons of articles suggesting (i) but also very many suggesting (ii) as well.

Can someone from affilorama team perhaps give me the final/correct verdict?

Best

Adam
chettvq24
Trust:
allinanchor: would show number 2. All pages with links pointing to them.

Allinanchor:dog training tips
would only show pages with links pointing to them where the anchor text is "dog training tips"

where as inanchor:dog training tips
would show pages with links pointing to them where the anchor text is "dog training tips" or may be "dog training tips for beginners" or maybe "dog training for beginners". It does not have to include all the words dog training tips.
Last edited by chettvq24 on 09 Nov 11 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigarsenalbear
Trust:
Thanks for that.

So allinanchor shows pages that have been linked to using the exact phrase following the colon (?)
chettvq24
Trust:
To clarify a bit more:

allinanchor:"dog training" shows pages that have been linked to using the exact phrase dog training (note the quotes - the quotes have to be there if you are looking for that exact phrase in that order)

allinanchor:dog training shows pages that have been linked to using the words dog training but they do not have to be in the exact order dog training it could be training dog.

note that inanchor:"dog training" and allinanchor:"dog training" - which here both have quotes give you the exact same result - pages that have been linked to using the exact phrase dog training in that order.
bigarsenalbear
Trust:
Let me see if I have understood:

(1) allinanchor:"dog training" shows pages that have been linked to via the exact phrase "dog training"
(2) allinanchor: dog training shows pages that have been linked to via links containing the words "dog" and "training" but not necessarily in that order (?)

(3) inanchor:"dog training" also shows pages that have been linked to via exact phrase "dog training" ?

Is that right?

And if so, what does inanchor:dog training show?
chettvq24
Trust:
1, 2 ,3 - yes, that's right.

inanchor:dog training tips - this looks for pages with links to them with an anchor text that includes the word dog, training or tips. It does not have to be all 3 - It could just have the words "dog training help" or it could have "tips on helping a dog"
bigarsenalbear
Trust:
Thanks for that chettvq24!
onlycubs
Trust:
informative post and very informative comments thanx

This topic was started on Nov 09, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.