Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

URL forwarding as an SEO strategy

chants
Trust:

URL forwarding as an SEO strategy

hi. I have a question about url forwarding a keyword .com domain as a SEO strategy. I have a couple of keyword .coms that i have bought with the idea of using to url forward to other sites to increase traffic. However I notice that if I type in the domain itself ( eg solarenergy.com ) it comes up first place in the listings. if I type up solar energy it does not come up. How would I optimize this domain ( which I simply want to be url forwarded to another site ) so that if I type in solar energy it appears at or near the top of the search engine listings. Would I simply do this by putting solar energy in the title and fragment? And if so , practically how does one do this ? Also - a domain that is url forwarded - how is it optimized ? - according to the site to which it is forwarded ? Another brief question : If I have for example solarenergy.biz - ie a keyword domain which is not a .com - how do I optimize it to come at or near the top of the search engine listings if I type in solar energy : a) if it is url forwarded to another site b) if it is actually a site itself.

Thanks a lot
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Chants,
Maybe the tech staff here on the forum can give you more advice on this but,
If you have multiple domains pointing to 1 main site then you need to use 301 redirects.
You don't want to look like a link farm if you start forwarding all the sites to one main site, so use 301 redirects.
This is unlikely to happen with just 2 domains though.
Multiple domain names pointing to your main site will not help your rankings.
You may get some stray traffic though but I would rather concentrate on building links to the main site.
Also, forwarding a URL from within your domain account to another main URL is not a good practice as most forwards are 302 redirects and Google will see the URL's as duplicate content sites and ignore them completely.
Or, worse.. Google changes there algorithm down the track and penalizes you for having multiple domains pointing to one main site for the sole purpose of manipulating the search engines.
So all your other URL's pointing to the main page should be 301 redirects.
Basically, Your domain names need to be routed from the domain name registrar to a hosting account - from the hosting account you'll need to set a Permanent Redirect to your main site.

More info on that here...
https://www.affilorama.com/site-building/301-redirects

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

chants
Trust:
Thanks - it sounds very complicated for a newbie like me - but I'll have a look at your link
jpastorizo
Trust:
Chants,

Dont complicate things. Very few traffic comes from domains that have the keyword and the searcher directly types in the domain name in the browser. If you have a plan to optimize the domain name just for the purpose of the visitor landing on your main website then you might as well just focus on optimizing your main website.

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

This topic was started on Mar 11, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.