Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Totally confused about duplicate article issue

PremiumMember
ukruch
Trust:

Totally confused about duplicate article issue

Hey guys

I'm a big fan of MArk's and follow all the steps he teaches, the only thing I have any type of doubt in is the duplicate content penalty/spinning articles part.

here is a video from google themselves confronting this issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hSoXutu ... r_embedded

Right now I'm a little unclear of what to do, Mark has over 10yrs of experience, so I don't think he would go through all that extra effort for no reason, maybe he hasn't come across this video?

Ruchi
jpastorizo
Trust:
Ruchi,

Mark and Google are both correct. Google just doesnt call it duplicate content penalty. But based on the video the guy was saying that it is more of per query and that they show the most relevant or unique or something to that effect. Essentially, the search results will really just show the unique relevant websites/articles to the person searching for something in particular. So if you submit the same article or even if you submit an original article and a rewritten version with low uniqueness, then google will just show the most relevant to the searcher.

As marketers, if we want to have our articles ranking/showing in the top results then we have to make sure that they are unique, otherwise there's a high chance that google might exclude it from the results. Does that make sense?

Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

PremiumMember
ukruch
Trust:
Thanks Renato, it does make sense, what if you are only writing these articles for the sake of getting backlinks?

Ruchi
faradina
Trust:
When I am writing articles for submission to directories, it is really only for the sake of getting backlinks. And the duplicate content principles still apply to these articles.
jpastorizo
Trust:
ukruch wrote:Thanks Renato, it does make sense, what if you are only writing these articles for the sake of getting backlinks?

Ruchi

Ruchi,

You can do that but I wont recommend it - mainly because the backlink is pretty much useless. The backlink may come from an article directory with high PR but remember that each internal page of a website is graded by Google individually, so it has its own Page Rank. If Google is not including your article because it sees that it can show a more relevant article/website based on what the searcher is looking for then Google already marked your article/site not to be shown for specific searches. This is because there is a more relevant article which happen to have been published ahead of your article and Google is considering that as the "original".

When Google has determined that your article has almost the same content with another article that it considers original then your article will not get "Google love" - your article page will therefore have low or No PR at all, rendering the backlink to your site useless.

Anyone is welcome to correct me if what I said is not accurate.

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

superaff
Trust:
And don't forget that you can receive a lot of traffic from the top article directories like EZA. It will depends on the number of articles you submit and also on the competition within your niche.

Franck
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
You might want to read these articles from the Official Google Webmaster Blog:
Demystifying the "duplicate content penalty"
Deftly dealing with duplicate content
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

This topic was started on Mar 12, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.