Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Suddenly Ranking Dropped

carolinemurphy
Trust:

Suddenly Ranking Dropped

Hello Folks,

One of my clients site ranking has suddenly dropped 2 days back. All keywords which were ranking higher on Google suddenly fell down. Two pages of the site which I have been targeting the most are not even showing on Google. I also did not get any any new message in Google webmaster tool.

Is there any new update from Google. I am seriously looking for dropping reason.

Are your site doing fine?
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hey Caroline,

I haven't heard of any new Google algorithm updates.

How long had those pages been ranking well for those keywords? Had they held those rankings for months already? Or had they been steadily climbing up the rankings, and now they've dropped?

If they were holding steady at a particular position for months, and then they suddenly dropped a significant amount, I would be a bit worried.

If they'd just been climbing up the rankings steadily over the past few weeks or months, and suddenly they started falling... I think that's more normal.

I experienced this recently with one of my own sites. It was climbing and climbing and climbing, and then suddenly it fell.

I get the feeling that Google might "try out" different sites at different position, and watch how satisfied searchers seem to be with it. If a page gets good engagement and it seems like people are really enjoying it, then Google might let it stay in the good ranking position.

If people aren't interested in clicking on it, and they don't seem to find it useful when they DO click on it, Google might drop you back after they've given it a good chance.

In my case, I checked my meta description and it was terrible, and my click-thru rate was also terrible, so I'm guessing that Google saw that too and decided to drop me back.

Maybe this is what happened for your clients? Google "gave it a chance" but didn't like what they saw?
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

carolinemurphy
Trust:
Thanks for your kind reply. I got my client ranking back. I also found the reason for dropping. One of my developers has mistakenly demoted the link from Google Webmaster tool. Later links were not showing on Google and ranking dropped. Now, I fixed the issue and got my client ranking back.
seoaceindia
Trust:
happy with your ranking back but i also heard recently in October zombie update came which can also reason to jump keyword.

This topic was started on Oct 07, 2015 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.