Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Sitewide links, clever idea or risky business?

PremiumMember
ukruch
Trust:

Sitewide links, clever idea or risky business?

Hey guys

I'm in a very competitive niche (competition of around 32million) and I've been doing some competitor analysis and noticed that most of them are being linked to by sitewide links, which I believe is probably the reason they're ranking so highly. I've always viewed this is kinda shady, as its essentially buying links, which google penalizes.

What do you guys think, is it worth looking into or staying away from? Do you do it?

thanks
faradina
Trust:
Sitewide links are not necessarily bad. But the thing is that the sitewide links should be related to the content of the website, otherwise they will come across as spam, and that's what would lead to penalties. Having too many sitewide links, even when related to the website content, is also spammy.
PremiumMember
ukruch
Trust:
Thanks for your reply Fara, but please see this link http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66736 , there is no way you can get a permanant sitewide link without purchasing one
Last edited by sydney on 10 Feb 11 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed broken link

faradina
Trust:
I do not see any reference to sitewide links on the page that you referred me to. All it discusses are paid links.
So you are looking to have someone put a sitewide link on their site that would point to your site? Then we are not looking at sitewide links from the same perspective.
I'm discussing sitewide links from the view that they are not necessarily bad, that it depends on where and how they are presented. Whether or not you can get someone to put a sitewide link on their site that links to your site, for free or otherwise, is beside the point.
sonitin
Trust:
Jerry West of Seo Revolution says its a clever idea. I trust his judgement.
"offshoreally.com" - One click for all outsourcing requirements including bookmarking, submissions, dedicated staff, link building..

Looking for a qualified virtual assistant to help you with your work? Click here - "offshoreally.com/internet-marketing-outsourcing-seo/virtual-assistant-link-building"

Enter The" Bad Ass" SEO Guest Blogging Contest to WIN CASH PRIZES http://bit.ly/9knBFs

PM me for coupon codes!

This topic was started on Mar 23, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.