Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Site not Converting. Try Adsense?

swarlley
Trust:

Site not Converting. Try Adsense?

Hello friends.

My first site is getting some traffic now. About 80-100 a day and getting plenty of hops (+600) but it just isn't converting. Could the men's dating advice niche just be one that doesn't convert well?

I'm considering adding some Adsense ads to the site so it can start generating some income. What is your opinion on this? Wait it out longer or try out Adsense?

Thanks,
Chris
esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

You really need to examine the traffic that you're getting, figure out what searches they are coming in on and then determine the mindset of that visitor. Dating advice is probably not much of an impulse buy. People searching for that are probably not thinking of purchasing anything. The way to improve this is to create a free newsletter series, give good advice and gain trust that will allow you to recommend the purchase of products.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

swarlley
Trust:
Good points. That makes sense.

Now considering what you said, since my visitors don't seem to be buying products on the first visit to the site, my popover and sidebar opt-in should entice them to sign up for the newsletter series. (I did add these to the site just a few days ago and have 4 people signed up.)

Would the Adsense do any harm since people are signing up for the newsletter and I'm not making sales on the site itself. The newsletter links directly to the merchant sites.
cecille.l
Trust:
We don't really recommend adding AdSense on websites because these can take visitors away from your site instead of click on your affiliate links. Still, you can make money off them for the meantime while you build your newsletter list.

My two cents. Happy Holidays!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

burkhardt5
Trust:
Hello Swarlley

I can relate to your situation. My main site is a world of warcraft site which is also not really a need but more of a want type sale so conversions will not be as much as a need type site. I got some advice from a friend to help keep people on your site longer. Make sure your content is good so people will keep reading and break-up paragraphs into small bites. Don't push your ads too much "one at the top and one at the bottom of the page should be fine". If there are too many, people will leave quicker. Go back to your keyword research to make sure you are getting targeted traffic from them and not just casual traffic which is worthless.

I get about 300 visits to my World of Warcraft site per day but I am not converting as well as I thought I would. I am making some changes that should turn things around, i'll make a post about it in the next few weeks if things pick up.

Best of luck!
Never Give Up!!!
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

swarlley
Trust:
I appreciate the insight guys.

I think the majority of my keywords do carry some buyer intent and should attract guys who really do want the dating advice. Like you said though Paul, it is just a want, not a need.

I'm going to keep tweaking the site now and let it age while backlinks continue to accrue.

This situation has made me want to focus my future sites on more need based products rather than want based products. I think that alone should help conversions.

Lesson learned here. Good deal.
esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

The other thing is that you can turn a want into a need through good copy and a lengthy newsletter series. Think of it this way, you give good quality tips in your newsletter series, but you also keep letting the reader know that there is a lot more to be had, faster/better results by purchasing X product.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
Also consider just polling your email subscribers. Set up a survey in Google Docs and have them tell you their biggest frustration or problem when it comes to dating.

You might discover that meeting women isn't so much an issue, but rather getting women interested in them romantically and not ending up in the "friend zone" is where most of them struggle.

With this kind of info you can offer them more products that address this issue, which should give you a better conversion rate.
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

myravalencias
Trust:
This is an interesting niche and I bet the visitors you get are normally genuinely interested for your products honest information on what they are looking for however I am afraid that too much Adsense will turn them off. I will consider to have it well establish before adding them in. You need to do some research on your visitors.
lizatailor23
Trust:
How are your sites doing as compared to when they had Adsense? Thanks for the good info.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
actually, the men's dating advice niche is HUGELY profitable. its a billion dollar industry annually. And it is an emotionally needy niche, although it isn't really a logical must have type of market. What you really need to look at is the emotional connection that you are making within the niche. really 100 visitors per day isn't that much. I generally recommend not worrying about conversions until you get to 500+ per day consistently to a site. until then, focus on traffic, not sales.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

annabellefrost07
Trust:
I'd have to concur with most of the above when they say it's particularly important to make that emotional connect in such a niche. Once you have, the selling will come much easier!
albertstephen0
Trust:
During my study, I newly exposed that I was doing many things inaccurately. One thing I opened was that you can have more than 20 different campaigns each containing around 90 different adgroups. I was also using way too few keywords.
Reputation Management
pepdealc
Trust:
go to keyword tool and get some high CPC keywords.

This topic was started on Dec 28, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.