Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

SEO tactics for highly competitive sites?

geoff pun
Trust:

SEO tactics for highly competitive sites?

:( i starting to work on a dating review website. its highly search topic but of course they are also many competitors for me out there. how to do i get on top other than seo - tags & headers , payperclick, write articles, links from other websites? please advice. :shock: geoff
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
For competitive terms, you need links, links and more links. Thats what it's going to come down to. Which means it's going to take a lot of time and/or money. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

geoff pun
Trust:
:? hmmm! maybe back to the drawing board, thanks sean for the advice. i don't mind working hard for my 1st website but not uneconomically or inefficiently time-wise or money-wise. i would love to hear from others, mark, adrian & all you good folk out there. :roll:
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
What is the main keyword that you are trying to optimize your site for? (This should be your main keyword at the top of the tree diagram... the homepage.. etc...
geoff pun
Trust:
:D thank adrian for that useful link, its over my head currently but i will look at it later. my website is on early building days

my main key word which is on my explorer heading are "dating site - internet dating - reviews & guide". these words have massive search quantities. i check yahoo & found the top ranking websites are actual dating sites not directory or affiliate. forgetting to check google, i started building a website & now notice in google, the top 4 are dating directories (may not be affiliates). :cry: so taken aback, i pose this question.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
It could still be a good idea Geoff, you just need to do some more keyword research and find some better keywords to optimise for. Optimising for "dating site" is going to be extremely difficult. But I'm sure there are much better keywords out there.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

superaff
Trust:
Not bad for your first site. However, the grey annoy me a little, or you could differentiate page color from background color.

My two cents.
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

geoff pun
Trust:
thks! sean. do u mean "dating site" is difficult as in "too many competitors optimised to it" or u mean something else?

is my aim to find the most search after terms with the least amount of websites tuned to those keyword? am i nailing that on the head?

hi superaff, how could u have seen my website? i haven't loaded it on the web, i haven't got myself a host too & still working on page 1. just started 4 nights ago, max 9 hours work so far.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
If you could get #1 for dating site, you would do very well. But it would take way too long to get anywhere close.

Find something that has less competition and you will rank much quicker. It's all about balance. ie You dont want to optimise for "whats the best dating site online because I really really want to know". Do you understand what I'm getting at?
www.SixDayWeekend.com

superaff
Trust:
Oops! I messed up, I am sorry. I was anwsering another thread, and since I had many tabs open, everthing mixed up!

To reply to your question, yes, there are many competitors in this niche. Like Jeremy palmer, rosalind gardner and Deangelo!

These 3 are big man, however it doesn't matter. If I was you, I would subscribe to their sites to see how they work this niche.

Geoff Pun wrote:thks! sean. do u mean "dating site" is difficult as in "too many competitors optimised to it" or u mean something else?

is my aim to find the most search after terms with the least amount of websites tuned to those keyword? am i nailing that on the head?

hi superaff, how could u have seen my website? i haven't loaded it on the web, i haven't got myself a host too & still working on page 1. just started 4 nights ago, max 9 hours work so far.
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

geoff pun
Trust:
:D hi guys,

thks! 4 advices. since it's my 1st website & feeting dipping experience, i'm switching to do golf products instead. less competition & have more pricey products. it's good i haven't gone far with the dating site.

:wink: also switch from coffeecup to vnu. find tables on vnu a pain. i post some query soon. if u guys can help to answer my vnu questions, that wld be smashingly supreme :D catch u later.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I would think both markets are pretty competitive. But if you stick at it, you'll be right with either.

Just because there is competition, don't give up :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com

geoff pun
Trust:
:D g'day sean,

i not giving up, my 1st aim is to get up & running with my 1st money making website asap. i believe affiliating for golf products will get me on the scene faster than the highly competitive dating stuff. after that i can go back to building my dating site. its a steep learning curve & i glad to have mark & you guys for your support. :D
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yep, thats the spirit. Just get in there and have a fair dinkum crack ;)
www.SixDayWeekend.com

geoff pun
Trust:
:D good on u mate, sean , yah! hand on the plough, get that whip cracking :lol:
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hey Geoff,

What kinds of dating sites are you looking at promoting?

Men looking for how-to guides on how to attract women for dating?
Men looking for how-to guides on how to attract women for one night stands etc?
Women looking for how-to guides on how to attract the right man?
Internet dating sites like match.com where people can meet real people online for dates?

As you can see there is quite a range above and different search terms for each one.

eg if you are promoting how to attract women guides (for men), then there are keywords such as:

how to attract women
dating tips for men
how to seduce women
how to pick up girls
how to pick up women
etc

but also product names eg..
mystery method,
double your dating,
art of approaching,
pickup 101,
etc

and also dating industry author names eg:
neil strauss
david de angelo
joseph matthews
etc

Product names and author names can prove to convert highly too.

Hope the above helps,
All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

geoff pun
Trust:
:D thks mark, i will have some use of that in the near future. currently i am doing up a website for golfing products & golfing instruction. More commission & less competition. i might just put up the site for critique in its infancy so i can get comments from you guys earlier showing the basic layout & structure. 8)