Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

SEO pages - alt text with images?

PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:

SEO pages - alt text with images?

while analyzing my pages in "seo". ( in xsite pro) I found that the blue checkmarks in a bulleted list are considered images and as such are available to have alt text attached to them.So I put an appropriate heading for the page for each checkmark,but I am wondering if this is a good idea or not? Is this keyword stuffing? Obviously the correct alt text would be "checkmark" or something like that ,not "keyword reseacrh" which is what I put there.what do you think?
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
I would use checkmark or bullet for the image. The point of alt text is to describe what the image is.
PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
thanks.I also received this reply from the "search engine watch" forum.

Oversees: Search & Legal Issues

Actually, since the bullets are being used as "visual design" elements and not "content" elements, the appropriate alt text is "", which is rendered as nothing by screen readers.

Imagine being visually disabled and having to listen to a huge list of a machine saying "checkmark" over and over again...

As for keywords, you don't put keywords in alt text, you put a textual alternative of the image in the alt text - which should include keywords where appropriate.
tarraco
Trust:
Thanks God adrian's picture doesn't work anymore!!! It was annoying!!! hehehehe :wink:
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
tarraco wrote:Thanks God adrian's picture doesn't work anymore!!! It was annoying!!! hehehehe :wink:

And a shouting face isn't? :D
tarraco
Trust:
OK you're right... I changed it ! :lol:
PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
here is a wonderful answer for all of those who are interested.

http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-frien ... text.shtml