Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

SEO - How can I hide text for each graphic?

localserviceguide
Trust:

SEO - How can I hide text for each graphic?

Google does not recognise text in graphics. I would like to use a graphic for each of my links down the side of my home page. Would it be a bad thing to do if I had hidden text for each graphic? Or would the alt text be cached?

Any ideas of how I can get around this?

THANKS
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
localserviceguide wrote:Google does not recognise text in graphics. I would like to use a graphic for each of my links down the side of my home page. Would it be a bad thing to do if I had hidden text for each graphic? Or would the alt text be cached?

Any ideas of how I can get around this?

THANKS

If you mean using hidden text on the page - then certainly not, unless you want your site banned. ALT text is fine to use as GoogleBot reads ALT text. No keyword spamming them, just be descriptive.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Why not just use text? Give your other pages a free link. Text can look fine if you do it properly.

Of course, if you want to make the site prettier, you can, but it won't be as helpful with the SE's.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

rudolf
Trust:
You can use a trick though; apply the image to the background of the cell, and type text over it. The link should be attached to the text.
This account is managed by two persons; Maarten and Rudolf. You may find either of us posting individually with this account.

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I'd be careful doing things like that Rudolf. If google finds out you're doing that, say goodbye to any rankings.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

localserviceguide
Trust:
I thought it sounded like a good idea. Sorry to be a pain but can I ask why you think its such a bad idea?

I knew having hidden text was wrong.

The text would not be hidden, just a nice graphic behind it? I know nothing, all of your help is most appreciated!

:D
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
sean06 wrote:I'd be careful doing things like that Rudolf. If google finds out you're doing that, say goodbye to any rankings.

That is fine to do what he says. It's just making the image a background for the cell of the table.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Hmm, so he's not talking about tricking google by hiding some text?
www.SixDayWeekend.com

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
sean06 wrote:Hmm, so he's not talking about tricking google by hiding some text?

Not from what I am understanding...

Making an image a background for a cell and writing over it is perfectly fine... but hiding the text is not.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yeh true. I find it easier just to use text :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com

rudolf
Trust:
Rudolf wrote:You can use a trick though; apply the image to the background of the cell, and type text over it. The link should be attached to the text.

Yes, by "trick" I did not mean "fool Google". Good to have some confirmation on this "trick".
This account is managed by two persons; Maarten and Rudolf. You may find either of us posting individually with this account.

amroch
Trust:
Using image as cell background is perfectly OK.

Another option is using CSS. Like the one below -

You can easily now use text on the image. With CSS you can create rollover navigation too. Cool and more importantly it's SEO friendly.

Amroch