Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

SEO Dilemma - opinions wanted

PremiumMember
pjjimbo
Trust:

SEO Dilemma - opinions wanted

Im having a SEO muddle, and would appreciate any advice for 2 sites I have.

Two sites - A and B. In the same niche, across different countries.

A ranks very well, and is older and more established.
B is a newer, near copy of A in terms of content - with a different domain, and doesn't rank well. No surprises!

I want to get B ranking well, as A cannot now be used due to legal reasons!

While the major issue is duplicate content on B - am I best to just go in and re-write the whole site? Should I scrap it and start again with an entirely new site? Should I re-word the major pages and robot-block some other pages.

Any one who has a plan or has faced the similar problems would be welcome to comment!! Thanks!!
Do My Jobs - New Zealand's micro jobs portal - make money doing jobs or outsource your own tasks!

kakaboo
Trust:
Well, you need to clarify why site A can't be used first - because if it is due to the content, then it would be pointless to work on site B anyway? I guess it's just cause you picked a trademarked domain name?
PremiumMember
pjjimbo
Trust:
Its because of a trademark name in the USA market relating to the domainname itself, not the content.

So, I can keep site A ranking well in other markets, but the USA market, I need to get site B up, as it doesnt have trademark issues on the domain name. Hope that helps?
Do My Jobs - New Zealand's micro jobs portal - make money doing jobs or outsource your own tasks!

PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
Hmmm I assume you are hosted in US? Bluehost, Hostgator?

Now this has never happened to me so I have hard time to give you any exact advice. I can only speculate from what I have learned earlier. Usually American companies likes to think that the US Law incorporate the entire world, Which it clearly do not :). However If you are hosted in US which i guess you are then its harder to know what is right.

I used to be member sometime ago in a paid forum where the owner got some similar issue with trademark claims from a law firm in us. She pretty much told them that they can wipe their ass with their papers. I asume you got this from some type of law firm? The logic she used is that they will never bring you to the court anyway and if they did it would cost them more than it would benefit them. On top of that to actually bring you to the court they would need a case that is actually worth the time...

I think this type of stuff is mostly empty threats by law firms that does not have anything better to waste their time on.

Solutions for this would be 301 redirect to a new domain, Its painfull but possible. Or just move the site abroad to a hosting service out of US. Another option would be to go for offshore hosting i guess, these services is mainly used by companies and individuals that utilize questionable business practices or are breaking the law in certain countries.

I guess its best to speak to someone who knows how laws in US work...

thats my 2 cent :)
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

michael025
Trust:
Hi PJJimbo,

Can you give us the URL of site A and B so we can get a clearer picture? It's hard to tell you what needs to be done without seeing the actual sites....

Oh, if you're uncomfortable with posting your URL's here, you can always send me a PM....
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
why not just move the content and use 301 redirects from the unusable site to the new site. that would help you to keep most pf the link juice the original site has.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

This topic was started on May 26, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.