Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Search Engine Traffic VS Other Sources Of Traffic

kurt
Trust:

Search Engine Traffic VS Other Sources Of Traffic

Getting free traffic from the search engine is great, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basic sort of speak. I don't want to rely completely on my rankings in the search engine because that could change. If 80 - 90% of your traffic is coming from google than you risk being effected greatly when google makes algorithm changes. Would be nice to have at least 50% of my traffic, if not more, coming from other sources so that google doesn't have the power to kill my business.

For those of you who have monitored your flow of traffic, I'm just wondering which traffic methods are the most effective so that I know which ones to focus on the most, and how effective are they compared with free search engine traffic?

Maybe if you could give us some guesstimates based upon your traffic experience. Not only listing your main traffic sources but the percentages of traffic that come from each. That would be great. Doesn't have to be exact, guesstimates will do.

Thank you
tankctrlr
Trust:
Free SE traffic is hard to beat, because it's usually what we focus on first and spend the most time on when we have more time than money to spend when starting out.

My best sources for traffic for my site needanarticle.com right now are:

Free SE traffic 40% (google, Bing/Yahoo)
Direct traffic 40% (returning visitors)
Referral traffic 20% (Review sites, membership sites, forums, social sites)

Your right we should diversify traffic sources, here's what I'm trying to focus on (when I'm not working IN the business instead of working ON it):

Search engines (publish content & market it)
Direct traffic (social, forums, guest posting ugh will I ever get started on guest posting! lol)
Paid traffic (Facebook ads, solo ads, contextual/banner ads)

Since we are not a giant corporation or anything our advertising team is me lol and our budget is small, so we have to operate like a start-up would.

Anyway here's some free resources, just because(sorry the forum won't allow more than 3 links so copy paste):
quicksprout.com/the-definitive-guide-to-growth-hacking/
quicksprout.com/the-beginners-guide-to-online-marketing/
quicksprout.com/the-advanced-guide-to-content-marketing/
quicksprout.com/the-advanced-guide-to-seo/
quicksprout.com/the-advanced-guide-to-link-building/
quicksprout.com/double-your-conversions-in-30-days/
quicksprout.com/double-your-traffic-in-30-days/
quicksprout.com/the-definitive-guide-to-copywriting/
Writing Services - www.needanarticle.com

kurt
Trust:
Putting your return visitors aside, it looks like 2/3 of your visitors are coming from free search engine traffic, and 1/3 from other sources.

Btw, what tool are you using to monitor your traffic? Does it break down your other sources of traffic any farther?
tankctrlr
Trust:
And really for that site the SE traffic is almost mostly from Brand keywords!

I use G-analytics/g-bing-webmasters-tools cause it's free. I'm pretty sure you could geek out with it pretty good but I don't spend too much time with that... at least not yet till I get more traffic flowing.
Writing Services - www.needanarticle.com

kallayprasanth05
Trust:
SE traffic is certainly effective since visitors use keywords to reach the websites. Therefore the visitors are potential prospects for sure. A growing Internet marketer can rely more on SE traffic than any other form of traffic. Having said thus, I should say that the traffic from PPC has its own value!
PremiumMember
slwillmn1
Trust:
An education forum like this can really assist the beginners and help publish the excitement. I use an education as an accent to raise questions and tactful start broad or am I on the right track?
stevegevans60
Trust:
You are right from your point that it would be nice to have at least 50% of my traffic from the search engine because It might be more risky, it will effect greatly when Google makes algorithm changes. There are many methods to raise the traffic of your website. Use the different strategies of the SEO and post the article and blogs in the high pr and standard site. Google analytics and web master tools are best to raise the traffic of your website.

This topic was started on Jan 18, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.