Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Rankings disappeared after changing Wordpress theme!?!

fuzzyhead
Trust:

Rankings disappeared after changing Wordpress theme!?!

Hi all,

Anyone had or heard of this?

I was finally starting to rank for 5 keywords (2 at the bottom of page 1 and 3 at the top of page 2) been stable in those positions for around the last 4 weeks but...

Yesterday I decided to change & improve my Wordpress theme, had a `Site under maintenance' up for 8 hours, didn't change any pages, text or headers, finished it last night & this morning I checked my rankings & they have disappeared.

The 2 keywords that were on page 1 have dropped to page 5 & the rest are nowhere to been seen. Checked my money pages using Traffic Travis's page analysis & they're still getting A+, also all my backlinks are still showing up, any ideas?

Surely just changing a theme shouldn't have any effect, could it be that the `under maintenance' peeved off the search bots & it's just a temporary thing!?!

I'm clueless and a bit worried, thanks for any help.
gullsinn
Trust:
i think your new theme is not W3C validating so i recommend double check it validating with W3 validation
also check you head tags etc
Earn while share files with your friends http://www.megashare.com/affiliate.php

fuzzyhead
Trust:
Thanks, wow, didn't even think of that, actually first time I've heard of it, is it easy to fix?
Just did a quick search & found something called HTML Tidy, is it any good or can anyone recommend the easiest way of sorting this out?
fuzzyhead
Trust:
Sigh...Just checked & there's a ton of errors on every page, all 85 pages!!!

One of the reasons I changed my Wordpress theme was because it was all over the place when viewing in IE, whereas the new theme is fine in IE & Firefox.

Really don't know where to start with this, don't suppose there's a W3C HTML Validator out there that checks & corrects at a push of a button? Wishful thinking I know but I'm hopeless when it comes to HTML code.
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Fuzzy,
It is possible that because you had the Site under maintenance that Google Crawled it.
If so then that could be why.
Give it a few days and see if the rankings come back.
Google analytics will tell you when Google last crawled your site.
But having those errors won't help either.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

sonitin
Trust:
Also check on the privacy tab in wordpress settings. Make sure the url's are same as old ones. Have you been doing any backlinking in between this?
"offshoreally.com" - One click for all outsourcing requirements including bookmarking, submissions, dedicated staff, link building..

Looking for a qualified virtual assistant to help you with your work? Click here - "offshoreally.com/internet-marketing-outsourcing-seo/virtual-assistant-link-building"

Enter The" Bad Ass" SEO Guest Blogging Contest to WIN CASH PRIZES http://bit.ly/9knBFs

PM me for coupon codes!

fuzzyhead
Trust:
Yay, got my rankings back, must have been the `Site down for maintenence' that peeved off the Google bots, will need to sort out my W3C validating errors tho.

Thanks again for all the help.

This topic was started on Jul 16, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.