Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Ranked in Google for "tags" not for actual home page. Why?

biswatch
Trust:

Ranked in Google for "tags" not for actual home page. Why?

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I'm a bit new but eager to learn and grow. I made my first site using the Google Sniper system. The product I tried to rank for is called "How To Be An Expert Persuader Review." I've gotten a bit of traffic to my site here and there but not to my homepage. For example, my site is "www.howtobeanexpertpersuaderreviews.com" but the page that I rank for is: http://www.howtobeanexpertpersuaderrevi ... r-review-2.

Basically, I only rank for the section of my site that includes all the tags. It's cool to see my page rank 1st on Google but why the heck is it this page? I would much prefer it send searchers to my home page. That's where all my affiliate links are. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

joshuas
Trust:
How long has it been there? I just did a check and the tag page doesn't rank #1 anymore but on page 3 behind your homepage (page 2) as you would expect. It your site is new sometimes it takes a while before the rankings stabilize as Google discovers links to your pages.

Regards,
Joshua
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
no matter how well you do seo, one thing is always important to remember. everything that you do is a suggesstion of relevance. google is under no obligation to rank you for anything.

That being said, with targeted link building and some time, your rankings should stabilize on the right pages.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Welcome to the forum, Biswatch! :)

Your main page is now ranking higher than your tag page. A page on a new site might rank high for a few days then disappear. It can take a few months to keep it from fluctuating. Just make sure that you properly optimize your pages (on page and off page) to improve your ranking.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

biswatch
Trust:
Wow. These responses are incredible. Being so new, it's really cool to know that there's a community here to share and learn from/with. Thank you!

Yes, the site is just one or two weeks old. It's the first affiliate marketing site, created with a friend of mine. Interesting to read the responses from you guys as to where the site turns out on Google. Brings up another question for me.

When I search for "How To Be An Expert Persuader Review" I get different results based on which computer I use. For example, on my laptop I see the tags page come up as ranked number one. On my desktop I see my home page come up and it's ranked as 7th or 8th on first page. Then I read your responses and you are getting even more varied responses.

How can Google be showing such different rankings on all of our computers? Is it because the site is so new? Is this the "Google Dance" that I've heard all the kids talking about. :)

Thanks!
joshuas
Trust:
Hi again, there are several possible reasons for this. One is that all of us are in different geographical regions. For example I am in Malaysia while Michellerana is in the Philippines. Therefore the search results will be optimized according to what Google feels is more relevant for our area. For example a local page on the same topic would probably rank higher.

Another reason could be that you are logged in to your Gmail account. Google collects data about your searches (I think you can clear your Google account cache) and tries to give you search results based on your search preferences.

One more reason I can think of is that your browser cache could be skewing your search results. To be on the safe side just clear the browser cache first if you want to check the search ranking of your page.

Regarding Google dance syndrome, yes, that might play a part as well especially if you've been doing changes to your site and have been building links and pinging sites to get Google to crawl your links.

Hope that helps,
Joshua
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
I actually used the Traffic Travis SEO analysis tool to check Biswatch's site ranking. The search location is set on US ;)
Michelle
Customer Support

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

joshuas
Trust:
@ michellerana Oops, my bad.

There you go biswatch, use Traffic Travis to monitor your rankings. It'll probably be more consistent. ;)

Joshua
biswatch
Trust:
Thanks so much :)
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
joshuas wrote:@ michellerana Oops, my bad.

There you go biswatch, use Traffic Travis to monitor your rankings. It'll probably be more consistent. ;)

Joshua

No problem, Joshua! ;)

I have noticed how much you have been contributing and I want to let you know that we really appreciate you taking the time to help other members out. ;)

Yes, it would be good to use Traffic Travis to monitor your site's ranking. It can even generate a graph for you so you could monitor it.
Michelle
Customer Support

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
hehe another member has taken my lead. If you don't watch it Michelle, you might start getting bored :D

TT is awesome. I use it for everything including tracking my web 2.0 pages, guest posts and other sites that I use. The free edition is great, but i couldn't live without PRO myself. its just too darn useful.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

This topic was started on Mar 22, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.