Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Rank #1 In Google With No Work!

beldin
Trust:

Rank #1 In Google With No Work!

I am confused to say the least, I've found a number of examples of this and find it utterly frustrating....

Here is one example site:

www .sweatyarmpits .net

It's not very good, has NO on page SEO (on the main page at least, I have not checked the rest)

It's page rank is 1, it is 1 year old, I see about 34 backlinks most of which come from a single website (also a sweaty site).

I'll give it "sweaty armpits" due to the domain name... but it ranks number 1 for variations of this as well. "armpit sweating", "sweating armpit", "sweat armpit", "armpit sweat".... you name it.

(and I'm only using quotes here to highlight the search phrase, in Google I use no quotes)

Does Google look at your keywords (domain) and automatically rank you for all the variations?

Can ANYONE explain this?

Stephen
Stephen

jcdean
Trust:
WOW that is a crappy site.

Any how a site can rank (even if it's not that good evidently) for variations of search terms.

A site optimized to grow bigger tomatoes would do well for a search for grow tomatoes bigger.
Respect,
JC Dean

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
usually sites like that use black hat methods to get their rankings. It usually does not last long. as the 'Search engines adjust their algorithms these sites have to continually find dew ways to stay on top. In actuality, It does not take much to beat these sites in rankings, and they actually wind up working harder over time than if they do it right.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

beldin
Trust:
Is black hat what the are doing by getting links from one other site? The site it's getting links from has a blog roll which links back to this site. It looks like the blog roll is counted on each page of the site, not just once as a sidebar.

I've seen that done a number of times on sites that look like they should not be ranking well, yet are. And that's where my frustration comes in...
Stephen

PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:
Hi Beldin

I have seen this teqnuqie several times. If you add a link to the blog roll on your blog/site, Google will count every url from your blog/site as a single page and the link from the blog roll is a new link to your site every time you post something new (because the blog post gets its own url). But I dont know how effective this link building strategy actually is.
oscarkool
Trust:
Stop worrying so much about the backlinks. They aren't as big of a deal as people make them out to be. Just make sure you writing good content and worry about backlinks later once your site has been indexed for a couple of weeks.
beldin
Trust:
Oh I'm not worried about backlinks.... I think they have merit but are not the be all and end all of this game.

I am CONFUSED at why that site is ranking so high... there are a lot of examples of this on the web. I'll keep my eye on the ones I've found and see if they move down over the next month or so. If not... I dunno what to think. LOL
Stephen

jcdean
Trust:
I am with you guys on backlinks.
I have pluged 100s of keywords into Traffic Travis.
It seems that on site SEO is the most important.
Respect,
JC Dean

thenewb
Trust:
Hey Beldin,

I don't see why you are frustrated. It looks to me that you have found a niche that with inept competition that it would be easy to rank in...... Checking out the site, the page copy is not bad. Here is the formula that I use and it gets results:

I put the keyword phrase in the top and bottom of the on page copy and about 5% in text. Also use it for title, h1 tag and at least once in description. Also get the top directories.

Just that above can give you top 5 results in google with no other work if it is very low competition.

The site you mentioned does not even seem to have full meta tags.. only title tag??? But like I said, the page copy is ok for those keywords, just not very long. The site is ugly, but my experience has been that ugly text rich sites dominate the organic results.... My question about this niche would be: Do you really think there can be an information product that would work to solve the problem???

Don't start second guessing your SEO, I don't think you will find the pages that are further down have better optimizations and backlinks.

By the way, about having a bunch of links from the same blogsite. It does NOT help much because google only counts backlinks from the same IP once.

Best Regards,
NOOB
beldin
Trust:
Hey Noob,

Thanks, the frustration is not only because of this site, I've seen this type of thing a number of times in different niches. That being said, I have not really compared high competition niches to see if this occurs. Of course, it could be temporary too.

I guess when you find things like this you should watch the top 10 results for a while and see how things move around.

One example of a high comp word is "weight loss"... when I checked that in Traffic Travis move of the pages have proper SEO, age and pagerank on their side... funny weightloss .com is 5th in the rankings... small site... no SEO... could be in first place if only...

Beldin
Stephen

superaff
Trust:
Hey guys,

Between on page seo and offpage seo, offpage (ie. getting links from other sites to your website) is the MOST important.

About this website, there is not a lot of competition:

When I typed without quotes, I got this: Results 1 - 100 of about 82,800 for sweaty armpits

When I typed with quotes, I got this: Results 1 - 100 of about 39,000 for "sweaty armpits"

And finally, when I typed with the modifier allintitle, I got this: Results 1 - 100 of about 7,740 for allintitle:sweaty armpits

It's super easy to rank for a keyword like that, and the fact that it has the word in the domain helped a lot.

Yes Stephen, having the keyword in the domain helps a lot (for low competition keywords like this one)

Those type of sites are short lived, even if he makes money with adsense.

What is funny is that Google keep changing its algorythms, and people want to game the system. But at the end, they lose.

What I suggest is to focus on quality sites that will not disappear with the next Google update.

From 2010 and beyond, the word is quality. I strongly believe that it will be more and more difficult to earn a full income with "bad quality" websites.

Heck, even ezinearticles.com started "slapping" writers and affiliates for poor quality articles... and I'm sure you heard about the latest FTC guidelines.

Make sure to be quality sites.

All the best,
Franck
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

thenewb
Trust:
Hello Frank,

I guess off page is more important, but if you don't do the on page correctly, then the off page is not going to help you much unless you get 10,000,000 unique IP links with your keyword phrase for the anchor..... (adobe "click here") So, on page is mission critical IMHO.

Just my $0.02, take it for what its worth.
superaff
Trust:
I never said anything against that.

On page seo is important as well. but offpage is the most important (that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do onpage seo). I don't know anyone who claim this.

Regards,
Franck

thenewb wrote:Hello Frank,

I guess off page is more important, but if you don't do the on page correctly, then the off page is not going to help you much unless you get 10,000,000 unique IP links with your keyword phrase for the anchor..... (adobe "click here") So, on page is mission critical IMHO.

Just my $0.02, take it for what its worth.
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

rubanz
Trust:
Yes I agree on page SEO is what it's all about from my limited mini-website experience.
twokad
Trust:
for sweaty armpits, an allintitle search shows just 6,650 results. This is a very small niche and so really not hard to rank #1 for.

The global monthly search volume for 'sweaty armpits' keyword is 14,800. For an exact match is only 4,800. So it's a small niche.

When you combine social presence with legitimate backlink methods it would be very very easy to rank #1 in that small niche.

The top method I use to increase search engine ranking is creating backlinks by building a block of sites with automated rss feeds for content, and links at the bottom of each page. The link placement is really important. It's not in a blogroll, it's at the BOTTOM of the page. It's legitimate, and its on domain names that are carefully chosen appropriate keywords. This is a lot of work though!
Lara @TwoKad
http://www.twokad.com

beldin
Trust:
Please keep this thread on topic.... if you want to know more about Rubanz blatant self promotion, PM him or start a new thread.
Stephen

rubanz
Trust:
oops I did mean "off-page" seo in my last post :)

Sorry to offend you Beldin my frustrated friend. I'm just trying to share my experience that an awesome backlinking strategy is going to get you those top google rankings and your site can be ugly as crap or whatever you want to call it because that's just the way this SEO game works right now. Consider to have minimal on page SEO as well (I think thenewb and superaff said it best). This is what I have found with my sites.

Hopefully you can clear your confusion and just go start backlinking so you can be analyzing your site in the Top5 rankings, from where you can provide the world with good value (and therefore merit your profit) rather than analyze someone else's ugly site about whatever hogging all the action. Good luck and all the best of success to you!

This topic was started on Dec 02, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.