Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Question on the whole Keyword Concept

lunatunes
Trust:

Question on the whole Keyword Concept

The whole keyword optimization thing can be a little confusing for us beginners.....Please tell me if my thinking is correct on this.

Lets say I want to do a website for small businessess.
The keyword "small business" in Traffic Travis shows 238,000.
The keyword "small business opportunity" shows 11,000.
This means I would have an easier time ranking in the search engine
if I used the keyword "small business opportunity"??
Also, from what I understand, I can optimize different pages for different
keywords. For example the keyword "business software" was searched for
only 6,000 times.
So question If I optimize a page using the keyword "business software" and someone does a search using that keyword, that
doesn't nessecarily mean I'm going to pop up in the top ten of google.
I'm going to stop here....I'm starting to confuse myself...LOL :lol:

Blessings,
Randy
davmontrose
Trust:
There are lots of things involved in determining whether or not you would show up in the top 10 for google. But obviously doing your onpage optimization will help with matters.

The amount of incoming links from other sites, and the number of them, and also the page ranking of those sites will also greatly affect your ranking.

Also, having good relevent, updating content etc. will also help. Also you should pay attention to your site structure. Download, the plan, or the plan primer etc. from seo2020, for good info on this. I'm sure there is a good reason why Mark is having us refer to the teachings of Charles Heflin, on the matter of site structure. Thanx Davin
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:The whole keyword optimization thing can be a little confusing for us beginners.....Please tell me if my thinking is correct on this.

Not neccessarily.... normally the longer keywords have less competition, however, if the smaller searched word has more competiting sites (that have done proper SEO) than the larger searched word... it's best to go with the one more searched.... do you follow? Dont look at search count.... look at competition/quality.

Also, from what I understand, I can optimize different pages for different
keywords. For example the keyword "business software" was searched for
only 6,000 times.
So question If I optimize a page using the keyword "business software" and someone does a search using that keyword, that
doesn't nessecarily mean I'm going to pop up in the top ten of google.
No it doesn't. You have to optimize that page for that word in order to get ranked.

I'm going to stop here....I'm starting to confuse myself...LOL :lol:

Blessings,
Randy
Site Admin
markling
Trust:

People throw around different figures for their search terms, and I think you're getting them confused. There's the number of people *searching for* a particular keyword (which is what shows up in Traffic Travis) and then there's the number of sites that Google finds for a particular keyword (which shows up when you do a search, and it says "results 1 - 10 of about 117,000,000" (which is how many sites it finds for "small business opportunity").

This second figure is your competition, and some people think it reflects how hard it's going to be to get a good ranking for the search term. That's why you hear people discussing it. In reality, like Adrian said, it's the *quality* of the competition that really matters.

Also remember that if you find keywords where there doesn't seem to be much competition, this probably means that there's no money there :) Getting good rankings for these words, though, may help your ranking for the more highly searched, more money keyword.

Hope that made sense!
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

lunatunes
Trust:
adrian wrote:Not neccessarily.... normally the longer keywords have less competition, however, if the smaller searched word has more competiting sites (that have done proper SEO) than the larger searched word... it's best to go with the one more searched.... do you follow? Dont look at search count.... look at competition/quality.

Accordining to what you just said, the one more searched (in my example)
would be "small business"

Is that right Adrian??
Thanks,
Randy
lunatunes
Trust:
Yes Mark, I understand what you are saying except for the quality of the
competition part?? How do you determine the quality of the competition?
Does quantity of competition = quality then?

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
I haven't checked the number of times those words are searched but if it was 238K then yes.

You determine the quality of the competition by checking their backlinks, site age, on page optimization factors, and so on.

Adrian,
lunatunes
Trust:
This isn't making sense.....
So go with the word that is searched for more which is "small business"
Even though the amount of sites that come up for that word is less.

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
When I search for "small business" I get :
Results 1 - 10 of about 428,000,000 , but only about 150,000,000, for "small business opportunity".

So theres 428 million other sites out there with "small business" somewhere on the page. Thats a lot! But, imagine if every single one of them was crap. They hadn't done any SEO at all. It would be very easy to rank for that term, which I imagine would be very profitable.

However, thats not the case. In my search, I found a heap of .gov.au sites with hundreds of google backlinks. There was also msn and wiki in there as well. Looking at the top 10, it seems that this would be a very hard keyword to rank for.

Does this make sense?
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
No you don't have to do that. You can with both words if you want too. All we are saying is that you must look at the competition (how well they have done SEO to their site) over the amount of competing sites for that keyword.... try to find a happy balance between search/ competition.

Adrian,
lunatunes
Trust:
Thanks a lot guys:)
I do understand. I mean even without knowing a whole lot you can tell that
those sites are quality sites when you go into them. Plus the fact that most
are .gov msn usatoday etc. The content on these sites is incredible!!
Is looking in Traffic travis at Google PR and Alexa Rank helpful also?

Sean, I know what backlinks are but what is a google backlink and how do I
check for these?

Davin, this is like the 3rd or 4th time you have given me a tip on some
invaluable stuff in response to my questions. I read the plan this evening
and it was exactly what I needed. Although I dont know if I agree with the
48 sites in a year thing. At least for now....I dont want to manage 48 sites.
I dont even want to manage 10. I would much rather have 2-4 quality sites.
I'm sure as my knowledge and expertese increases that will change because
right now, for me...one site seems like a distant dream....LOL

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Ya 48 sites is a little much for a newbie... concentrate on 2 - 3 really good quality ones first.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Google backlinks are just the backlinks that google shows. Google doesn't show all the links that a site has, only a select few. Which ones? I've heard people suggest that the only ones they show are the only ones that they count, but who knows?

As for how to check, either type in link:http://www.website.com in the google search bar, or do what I do and use the google toolbar.

http://toolbar.google.com I'd recommend you get this anyway. Once you install the toolbar, click on google on the far left of the tool bar, click on options, then more, then tick the "info" box. Once you have the info thing on your tool bar, you'll be able to check google backlinks, get a cached version of the page, translate the page etc. But the only one I use is the backlinks tool.

Whew, all that make sense?
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

lunatunes
Trust:
Thanks Sean.....Yes, made sense. You can breathe now...LOL