Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Question about three-word Keyword phrases

jgooch33
Trust:

Question about three-word Keyword phrases

If I am optimizing a page for a three-word keyword phrase such as, say, "Gold Rolex Watches", would that page not also be highly optimized for the two-word phrase "Gold Rolex"?

I ask because I see a lot of three-word phrases that Google says are highly competitive but then a two-word subset of that phrase will have almost no competition.

Is this chalked up to anchor text in internal and external links?
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
Yeah, if you build links to the page using the 3-word and the 2-word anchor text, you should see improvements in rankings for both keyword terms.

I recently tried something like this by optimizing each page on a website for 2 or 3 different keywords and it has been working pretty well :)

Hope this helps.
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

newstart
Trust:
It is not uncommon for the search engines to rank a page of a website for a keyword phrase that is encapsulated within another keyword set. The aim of the search engines is to provide data related to the keyword search phrase of the inquirer. When a keyword search does not have a direct match the closest keyword selection will appear on search results.

Though this action may seem beneficial it may not be as the new keyword alternative is not specific or buyer related. Often a website can pull massive traffic without any corresponding sales activity.

Your example keywords are not buyer specific. A keyword phrase such as "Gold Rolex watch repair" or "Gold Rolex watch sale" would likely pull buyers searching to repair a watch or purchase a Gold Rolex watch.

Short keyword phrases often are not buyer specific making the traffic received from the keyword phrase useless to the website. It is good to provide general information about a product however in the end you need someone who has decided to purchase the product to solve their problem or desire.

Margene
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
If a certain keyword phrase is within your targeted keyword phrase, you would also get the chance to rank for it :) You can rank for the whole long-tail keyword phrase or a portion of it. (ie if you used the phrase "How to optimize your website" as your keyword, you will also rank for "optimize your website")
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

jgooch33
Trust:
I guess my question really is "Why would the competition for a subset of words within a long-tail keyword phrase be any less then the competition for the full keyword phrase"

Probably not the most succinct way to put it. :-)
newstart
Trust:
Buyer keywords produce sales. Shorter tailed keywords do not.

Margene
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Jgooch33 wrote:I guess my question really is "Why would the competition for a subset of words within a long-tail keyword phrase be any less then the competition for the full keyword phrase"

Probably not the most succinct way to put it. :-)

That does seem kinda strange. Usually shorter keywords have a higher search volume than the longer one.

Can you give me / PM your keywords so that I could check the values. I searched for "Gold Rolex Watches" and all the shorter phrases gave higher values (broad match):

Gold Rolex Watches: 8,100
Gold Watches: 246,000
Gold Watch: 368,000
Rolex Watches: 368,000
Rolex Watch: 450,000
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

This topic was started on Oct 10, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.