Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Optimizing for different keywords?

lunatunes
Trust:

Optimizing for different keywords?

I have a page on my site that is titled Industrial air compressors.
The keyword is also "Industrial air compressors"
People will also be searching for the keyword "air compressors"

My question is if I optimize for "Industrial air compressors" will that automatically optimize it for "air compressors" also since air compressors is in that keyword phrase?

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
If you include the words "air compressors" in the links to your site then yes.

http://www.instantposition.com/seotest.php
lunatunes
Trust:
Hi Adrian :)
So does that mean I will have to optimize for both keywords. Industrial air compressors and air compressors within the same article.

So the one keyword which is "industrial air compressors" will not optimize for both keywords because both keywords are in that one keyword?

Randy
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
By getting lots of links with "industrial air compressors" you will also be helping yourself rank for all three words. For example, if you got hundreds of thousands of links for "industrial air compressors" I would think that you would rank #1 for "industrial air compressors" and most likely "air compressors" and you would also be ranking for "industrial".

Hope this makes sense. For a real life example, look at the site that is ranking #1 for learn spanish. That site has so many links to it with spanish in it, that is has even started ranking for the term "spanish".

Let me know if I haven't explained this well.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

lunatunes
Trust:
HI Sean, I was wondering more on internal optimization. I found out though that what I can do for example: If I have a 450 word article and lets say I have the keyword "industrial air compressors" in that article 5 times.
I would bold 3 of the instances of that keyword and the other two I would only bold air compressors. And then of course put both keywords in the meta tags.

As far as external optimization that will be a slow process as I have over 240 keywords that need optimizing!

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Oh ok, well, in that case it's not as big a deal. While on page factors are important, most of your effort will be in getting links.

While you may hear people say to get X% keyword density, I like to think about what the search engines are looking for. So I just write the articles based around the keywords and sprinkle them in naturally. As long as your keywords are mentioned enough, you'll be right, assuming that your site has plenty of backlinks.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

lunatunes
Trust:
Ideally having back links to all 240 pages would be great but do I have to have back links to every individual page to have each page optimize.

Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:Ideally having back links to all 240 pages would be great but do I have to have back links to every individual page to have each page optimize.

Randy

No you do not... I have many top ten rankings for pages with 0 links to them... this is only true of the smaller searched words using LSI.... the big terms you will need link power.

If you want to rank for 2 words on a page.... Industrial Air Compressors and Air Compressors

Make those two words your H1 and H2 tags.... then just get links that have all 3 words in them.
lunatunes
Trust:
adrian wrote:No you do not... I have many top ten rankings for pages with 0 links to them... this is only true of the smaller searched words using LSI.... the big terms you will need link power.

If you want to rank for 2 words on a page.... Industrial Air Compressors and Air Compressors

Make those two words your H1 and H2 tags.... then just get links that have all 3 words in them.

Thats great Adrian!!! Thanks. Many of the pages are for smaller searched words with not a lot of competition. What would you yourself consider not a lot of competition?

Randy
lunatunes
Trust:
As I read your reply I noticed the contradiction between your reply and your signature link and thought it was funny :)

adrian wrote:No you do not... I have many top ten rankings for pages with 0 links to them.

You need to get links to YOUR website in order to rank well.....
Don't delay another day. See why this .... :)
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:As I read your reply I noticed the contradiction between your reply and your signature link and thought it was funny :)

adrian wrote:No you do not... I have many top ten rankings for pages with 0 links to them.

You need to get links to YOUR website in order to rank well.....
Don't delay another day. See why this .... :)

You forgot the other part.

"... this is only true of the smaller searched words using LSI.... the big terms you will need link power."

Words that are good for not needing links? I would say 4 -5 words long.
lunatunes
Trust:
Ya, but it wasn't as funny that way :D ..lol

Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:Ya, but it wasn't as funny that way :D ..lol

Randy

Tisk tisk.... misquoting quotes to suit your own needs.... I dunno Randy.... :lol:
lunatunes
Trust:
adrian wrote:Tisk tisk.... quotes need misquoting .... I no Randy.... :lol:

Yes, I completely agree!

See this is what happens when I've been staring at the computer screen for too long....I just start getting silly. 3 hours of keyword research.

I better go to bed :shock:

Randy
wak1970
Trust:
A quick word of warning on link text. Do not try to get all your incoming links to say Industrial Air Compressor. The SEs picked up on link spamming a couple of years ago. The text linking to your site should be a mixture of phrases, if they all contain Industrial Air Compressor then well and good.

The reason the Spanish language program would have listed so well for the word Spanish is that there would have been many different natural phrases linked to the site, but practically all of them would have contained the word Spanish!
lunatunes
Trust:
You mean for example instead of all of the links being "industrial air compressors"
Some could be "discount industrial air compressors"
Or "quality industrial air compressors" and so on.

Randy
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Thats right. You don't have to be completely paranoid about it, just get some links to have different link text. For each site, I usually have 3-4 main key words that I want to rank for. I spend most of my time on 1-2 and then a bit of time on 3-4.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

wak1970
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:You mean for example instead of all of the links being "industrial air compressors"
Some could be "discount industrial air compressors"
Or "quality industrial air compressors" and so on.

Randy

Yep...I tend to follow the idea that the most natural key phrase to link to a page with is whatever is displayed in the Title tag. This should be your main keyword, or contain it.

The I just make sure there are some other phrases as well.

WAK.