Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Occasionally number one on google

PremiumMember
keystone
Trust:

Occasionally number one on google

Hi all,
I have a site that is #1 on google for its search term...well occasionally. Over the past few weeks it has gone from number 1 to gone away to number two to gone away...to number one to gone away.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why it may be so wild or perhaps point me at a Google person that can answer the question. It is really frustrating.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Gordon J
The future is what we create ourselves....click www.strategicniche-marketing.com

mark schaaf
Trust:
Unfortunately I don't think anyone has the answer because it happens to me all the time. I will rank #1 for a search term but I show up on page 10 in search results. days later i am on page 30 and days after that i am on page 5 all the while when checking my rank for a search term I stay the same. Once in a while my rank will change and to to #3 but where I show up in search results is still all over the place. I don't think anyone will have an answer because no one and I think google including knows what there computers are doing or what they are looking for. I have learned it is just something we all have to learn to live with. I seems its like riding a roller coaster always going up and down. I have mentioned this many times but it never seems to happen on Yahoo where My term rank stays the same for months as does the page I show up on in a search. I will be in the same place for weeks to months but google it is different about every 3 or 4 days.
Mark

PremiumMember
keystone
Trust:
Thanks Mark,

What I cannot seem to get is the way it is going from literally number one to nowhere and then back again. I an understand if Google algorthyms have an issue with something and drop it, but then they are obviously changing their minds and putting us back. Its a bit hard to tell an offline client you understand SEO if the site it not there when you try to demonstrate the point.

GJ
The future is what we create ourselves....click www.strategicniche-marketing.com

frankvue
Trust:
Yeah same here. I have a website that does the same thing! Really annoys the heck out of me. It's number 1 for a week or so then disappears for a few weeks then comes back to number 1 and the process repeats itself. I have no idea how to keep the rank stable. /shrug

This topic was started on Aug 11, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.