Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Number of keywords for inside META keyword tags?

amroch
Trust:

Number of keywords for inside META keyword tags?

Hi Mark,

Though according to many SEO experts META Keywords tag no longer has that importance which it used to have once, I have never come across an optimized web site without it. And my question is regarding keywords.

I have seen web sites with loads of keywords and I have seen sites with very few targeted keywords.

How many keywords / keyphrases should one consider to put inside the META Keywords Tag ?

Thanks,

Amroch
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
While it's not going to do all that much for you, it's not going to hurt you either. Unless you stuff the tags full of keywords, anyway.

The best thing to do is just add your top 2 or 3 main keywords and leave it at that.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

joshua
Trust:
I know this was directed towards Mark but I have found that is does make a difference. I don't think anyone knows exactly how much, but from my experinces it does help rankings. A lot of the smaller engines are still based off of meta description and keywords. You don't want to stuff to many keywords into the keyword field. I use anywhere from 4 to 8 keywords on my home page. If you write good unique content using semantics then you will start to rank on many different keywords. In the end we all just want/need more traffic ;)
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
joshua wrote:I know this was directed towards Mark but I have found that is does make a difference. I don't think anyone knows exactly how much, but from my experinces it does help rankings. A lot of the smaller engines are still based off of meta description and keywords. You don't want to stuff to many keywords into the keyword field. I use anywhere from 4 to 8 keywords on my home page. If you write good unique content using semantics then you will start to rank on many different keywords. In the end we all just want/need more traffic ;)

You use 8 keywords in the meta tag or on the page? 8 is too many for the meta tags...

Adrian,
joshua
Trust:
I use anywhere from 4 to 8 in the meta field. I have about 40 sites and everyone of them ranks in the top 10 on Google for my primary keywords and MSN usually in the top 3. It works for me ;) I am just breaking into affiliate marketing but I do very well when it comes to natural SEO.

Onpage SEO wasn't nearly as important as off page optimization until just recently in my opinion. You didn't have to even have a description feild or a keyword feild. All you had to do was write articles between 500 to 700 words long and get tons of backlinks using the keyword anchor text. When I did use meta tags I saw that my sites where rising a lot faster in the serps.