Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

My website is better in everyway but competitor outranks me

volkan
Trust:

My website is better in everyway but competitor outranks me

Used Market Samurai to gather the data..

My PR : 2 (for the page)
Competitor's PR : 0

My backlinks to page : 47 (PR 2-1-0)
Competitor's backlinks to page : 7 (PR 0)

Backlinks to domain nearly the same.. (Competitor has 200 more)

On Page SEO : Competitor focusing on another keyword (what do you call it, synonym?, so my on page SEO for the
keyword in question is far better. ( A+ with TT :) )

Anchor text of links, since competitor focusing on another keyword mine is better.

The only thing competitors website has better than mine is Domain Age.
So DA + (a lil bit more BLs to domain) > on page SEO + PR + BLs to page (links with better PR also) ?

My PR : 2 (for the page)
Competitor's PR : 2

My backlinks to page : 47 (PR 2-1-0)
Competitor's backlinks to page : 53 (PR 2-1-0)

Backlinks to domain nearly the same.. (I got 100 more)

On Page SEO : Competitor focusing on another keyword (what do you call it, synonym?, so my on page SEO for the
keyword in question is far better. ( A+ with TT :) )

Anchor text of links, since competitor focusing on another keyword mine is better. (He has the worst anchor texts i have ever seen)

The only thing competitors website has better than mine is again Domain Age.
(His DA is even better than the other competitor's DA)
#1 for the keyword is a hubpage, with 11 backlinks to page, has a PR of 1 and good on page SEO.

So the most important thing is DA !#!??!!#½???
slvrsrfr
Trust:
DA isn't the most important thing, but it is an under appreciated aspect of ranking that I think most people don't think about because they can't really do anything about it.

Also, the length that your domain has been registered for also plays a roll. Remember, that there are plenty of factors involved. Personally, I think DA is more important that people realized. You just found out.

However, I still believe you'll be able to beat them out with more links. And after all, that's all you can really control.

Take the #1 for the keyword. HubPages, a well respected and aged domain. But any of these can still be beaten, just might take more links.
volkan
Trust:
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a good expired domain.
I will build a site with a relatively low competition keyword and report back with results.
erniewright
Trust:
Hello,

Now a days competitor have increase and make challenge everyday. If you get more backlinks then it will increase you website rank otherwise it will fall down.

Thanks,
Ernie Wright
oscarkool
Trust:
Yep, Domain Age is a big factor for ranking. But you won't here the 'gurus' talking about it much since it does them no good to tell potential customers that it can take 2-3 months to rank #1. Yep, don't even expect to hit the #1 spot on Google for at least 2 or 3 months with a new site, maybe even longer.

Sorry, but that's just how it is. After I finish building my site with the content and pages and everything, I just let it sit for 2-3 months and I start working on another one. After about 2 months, I'll check the rankings and see where it's at. If it's not on the 1st page, I'll build links. If it's on the 1st page, I'll either add another post or 2, or I will just leave it alone for another month. After 3 months, that's when I'll start doing link-building.

This topic was started on Apr 30, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.