Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Meta keyword penalty for having too many keywords?

newrichedu
Trust:

Meta keyword penalty for having too many keywords?

Does anyone know if Google penalizes you for having too many keywords in the meta-keyword html? I have 40+ product pages up on my site and I chose the top 10-15 ranked keywords for each product/page. Each group of keywords is relevant to the product description. Thanks for any suggestions.
Craig
Last edited by michellerana on 20 Nov 09 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title to describe the post better

PremiumMember
ampie g
Trust:
Hi Craig, Google said they no longer use meta keywords in determining search rankings because a lot of people spammed it in the past. It's more important that you have your targeted keywords on your article. I suggest that you optimize your page for 1-2 keywords only as it's not possible to target 10-15 keywords and still have quality information.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Ampie is right. No need to worry about your meta keywords. Google deliberately ignores and doesn't place any weight for rank on them. You can read the announcement on the Official Google Webmaster Central Blog.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

newrichedu
Trust:
Thanks for the info- I won't waste any more time on meta-keywords.
sevamaster
Trust:
it does not matter. But i still use it.
deacon
Trust:
Thanks for the info. I just changed mine today, so I won't worry about what affect they will have. I'm very new at this, so I'm very grateful for the input.
Last edited by michellerana on 20 Nov 09 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic was started on Nov 18, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.