Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Keywords

mark schaaf
Trust:

Keywords

I have seen many articles about keywords and keyword research but has anyone seen anything about whether it maters how you arrange your keywords on your web pages internal keyword box. What I asking is does it mater if you put in short tail keywords before long tail keywords. If I do keyword research and see the top 5 keywords does it matter if it put them in order of most popular to least or because the search engines are looking they are going to see them all anyway. I have never seen an article on this subject before.
Mark

newstart
Trust:
I am not sure I understand your question.

In my opinion the keyword length does not matter. However, your articles in your website should be placed in a logical order. In this way your website visitors will be able to search through your site to locate topics of interest. If there are multiple articles in the same general keyword subject silo those articles together.

Keywords that are not directly related should be separated so as to create an option of siloing when future related keyword articles are added. Again, I feel the main advantage to siloing articles is for your site's visitors to fully navigate through your website.

As far as the search engines are concerned I do not believe there is an advantage no matter how the keyword articles are arranged. The only exception is that the search engines favorably look upon a website where the visitors stay for longer periods. A site that is disorganized does not encourage vistors to stay around.

Margene
Last edited by newstart on 04 Oct 11 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy.twit961
Trust:
Hi,

It is very necessary that URL of each page contain the keyword of that page. If the URL does not contain the keyword then there is problem to finding the website. We use the dynamic URL. Structure of URL also affects the on page SEO. We should also be careful on the time of selecting title and keyword. Title and keyword has an important role. If the selection and placement of title and keyword is better, then it improves the visibility of your website very rapidly.

Link removed by moderator
lizatailor23
Trust:
Effectively research keywords, It can hire a company to do professional keyword research service. Even if you have a basic understanding of keywords, paid keyword services will save time and produce better results. It would allow you to focus on your specialties. Plus it ensures that you are targeting the very best keywords to improve profitability of your website. There are many free keyword search tools available.
mark schaaf
Trust:
Sorry but the answers have nothing to do with my question. Let me try again. If you go to a web page and click on view page source you see the title tag, meta tags and a spot that says keywords. Those are the keywords that search engines see when they are looking for a site. My question is if i do keyword research and find 5 great short tail keywords and 5 long tail keywords and am going to put them on this page does it mater how they are put there. Example if I have a site about dogs going to bathroom on the floor and fine that the keywords dog crap is at number and dog crapping is number 2 and dog crapper is number 3 for the most used keywords should I put them on this page in order of most used goes first, and so on.

Hey Mark,

I put up to a maximum of 3 to 4 keywords that I will mainly target. I wont list them in terms of their popularity in the SEs or based on a higher monthly search volume. I personally will list them based on my priority - which keyword I would like to rank for.

Here is an example:
I typed the seed keyword "dog training" in Micro Niche Finder. I eliminated all the keywords with less than 3 words in them, eliminated the keywords with CPC of less than $1 and eliminated keywords with exact match local monthly search volume of less than 500. Here is what I got...

Keyword Phrase Local Search Count (Exact Match) Strength of Competition
how to train a puppy 6600 418
dog obedience training 5400 85,200
dog training collars 5400 25,100
how to train a dog 5400 0
how to train your dog 5400 247,000

Looking at these data the most competitive term for these keywords is "how to train your dog" with a Strength of Competition (SOC) of 247,000. Based on this MNF data, the keyword that will be easier to rank for is "how to train your dog". In this case I will list this keyword in-front of the other 3 keywords I would like my site to be optimized for. If I choose my 4 keywords from these Top 5 keywords I would write them in order based on the lowest SOC. My site source code for my meta keywords will then look like this:

<meta name="keywords" content="how to train a dog,how to train a puppy,dog training collars,dog obedience training" />

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Jon
Mark

PremiumMember
toby101
Trust:
the spot that says keywords in page source that you refer to are the keyword meta tags. They are pretty redundant nowadays so it really won't make any difference to your on page seo.

Much more important is your title tag, meta description, url and article title - even more important is your content and the kw anchor texts which you use to link back to the page.
newstart
Trust:
I don't have an official source that you can go to for verification. I believe what toby101 has stated is correct that the order does not establish a priority ranking.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Search engines have stopped using the meta keyword tags in the late 90's since spammers have been stuffing this box with keywords. We recommend optimizing your page on ONE keyword per page only.

If a "short tail" keyword phrase is within your targeted "long tail" keyword phrase, you would also get the chance to rank for it (ie if you used the phrase "How to use meta tags to optimize your website" as your keyword, you will also rank for "meta tags to optimize your site")
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
kieran
Trust:
I think that the order matters in that some search engines have a cut-off of 100 characters for the keyword list. If I am right, you would do better to place your keywords in order of importance so that the least important would be the ones that get cut off first. Although michellerana says that we should optimize each page for one keyword only (and I agree with her about this) I see no harm in seeding the page with what I call supporting keywords, ones that are related or similar to the main or primary keyword. This is, after all, the LSI concept.
Kieran

www.moneymakingbuzz.com - the Key to Online Wealth
www.buildthingsdirect.com - the Top Site for Home Improvement Projects

This topic was started on Oct 03, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.