Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Keyword variations-should I use gramatically correct phrases

snikadin
Trust:

Keyword variations-should I use gramatically correct phrases

Hello everyone!

When I was doing my keyword research I found a keyword phrase like "build product x" and liked it, 350 SEOT, 43,000 SEOC and $127 SEOV

now I thought I could use this keyword in this form in my articles "build a product x"
but now I'm analysing my article page with traffic travis and I'm getting a grade C on the page since it doesn't recongize my keyword at all because I'm using "build a product x" all the time since it's improper grammar to use "build product x" in my case. Does this mean I'm screwed? The phrase with a in middle of it is a far worse keyword to use. I had understood that you could put the letter a in a word and it would be the same keyword but I guess my source was incorrect.

In my case it's like "build water park" instead of "build A water park". As you can see it's impossible to use "build water park" as a phrase in any context. Or am I wrong?
Last edited by michellerana on 08 Dec 09 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

snikadin
Trust:
no one?
wollowra
Trust:
Hmmm, not sure on this one.
Maybe you can put the word in traffic travis without the A in it as this will trigger what your keyword research told you.
Maybe email support and ask that same question.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

snikadin
Trust:
Thanks Troy.
Well without the a in the keyword it all works out ok but I just thought it ugly to use improper grammar.

I have another question I hope someone can answer. When I do keyword research I mostly get quite a few words that are synonyms and then I build my keyword list with maybe 6-7 words with unique meanings and then I have about 5-6 synonym keywords for each of the unique words. This is really frustrating for several reasons. I get the feeling I don't give the visitors much value since I will be writing articles on basically the same topics using similar (synomyms) keywords. And obviously I'm only getting about 6-7 categories.

What are your ideas on this?

Another question I have is about targeted keywords. We're all looking for keywords that have high SEOT, low SEOC etc etc but what about keywords that are very specific and targeted like "buy product X" when you are selling a "building product x guide"? This keyword will probably have few searches but there's a much higher probability this searcher will convert, or am I wrong? Shouldn't we use these keywords as well?
wollowra
Trust:
lol, this is one of those questions where you go, hmmmmm...lol

Unfortunately you can not do much about keywords that are very similar.
Well you can dump a whole lot of keywords on a page or sites nav menu etc.. but it will look really weird and google will know what your up to anyway.
I would go with the top searched keyword first, then if you have related words that have the same meaning... you can write a 600 word article and split it into 2 pages and use some of the similar keywords on the second page.

Don't allow the message or content of your pages to get diluted simply to get more keywords on the page. Your content and user experience is the number one priority. All your keywords should fit with the overall message of your site.

second, you may find this post similar to what you were asking on products etc..

seo/organizing-site-on-large-product-into-pages-and-categories-t6495.html?hilit=keywords

My 2 cents.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

This topic was started on Dec 08, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.