Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Keyword choice, site and posts/pages

PremiumMember
scratchbakery
Trust:

Keyword choice, site and posts/pages

Sorry if this topic/problem is naive.

I'm trying to find the proper keyword choices.

I believe I'm supposed to use keywords related to each post, that may be different on every post.

And, then I have the site wide/main page keywords.

How to get the right balance. Should my keywords on my posts always have some overlap with keywords for the site?

Should my main website keywords only be relevant to the main page, and since the posts don't appear on the front page after a short while, they can't be considered in choosing keywords for the site? Example, I used TrafficTravis and found that for the site, I have a lot of keywords that, although important on the site, have a large number of warnings, e.g. 8.

Any help would be appreciated. If you want to see what I've done it's ambitdoc.com - however note that only a couple of pages even have keywords, etc. yet.
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi scratchbakery,

You need to do some niche and keyword research to find out what keywords are relevant to your topic/niche. You can use Traffic Travis for your keyword research and come up with a list of 20-30 keywords. Each article you will write need to be optimized with one keyword from your list. You need to rank for target keywords on your webpages, not your main page.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

PremiumMember
scratchbakery
Trust:
Didn't realize that direction and was concerned. Now, I'll concentrate my keyword selection surrounding the overall topic of the site.
I assume then that my post keyword selection besides the one major keyword are post specific to attract the traffic related to that post specifically.

Thank you.
PremiumMember
scratchbakery
Trust:
Whoa!
I'm new to this, so please help out. I'm confused.
I just did Traffic Travis on traffictravis.com
Are the things I thought important, not really important?
    it seems that traffic travis uses the same keywords for every page
    The SEO warning are very high, 8's on most items
    Page warnings are reasonable, 1 to 4
So, the question becomes, do i really need to worry about each page's keyword distinctions?
For the site:
https://www.affilorama.com
There are the same keywords on most pages, although there are a couple of pages with none.
gmtopicbay
Trust:
It depends on a few things. If you have a smaller site then you may only be ranking for a one or two keywords. But if your site is larger you may be ranking for more keywords. Keywords research is a core part of your online business. Not only for SERPS but also for understanding what your customers are looking for. However, don't get to lost in keywords. Know what keywords you need to drive the customer base you are looking for but concentrate on creating quality content for your customers. Keywords alone don't drive traffic or help your SERPS Link removed by moderator
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
You would actually want to target only one keyword phrase per article. It would be difficult to use more than one keyword phrase in each article, as it would then be really hard to work into the article text and make it sound natural. It would also be difficult to optimize your page for so many keywords so you should use the one which is best for the article. For proper on page optimization, you have to put the keywords on the page title, heading, meta keywords, meta description and within the article.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
scratchbakery
Trust:
My problem was actually that i have really great content, but only now doing some optimization.

So, now I'm going back and adding keywords, meta descriptions and titles and some internal links.
I'm adding italics to a key phrase.

But, when you go back and do all that to a a lot of articles, I wanted to make sure.

My talents are ability to do great content and excellent understanding of customers.

My weaknesses are obvious as mentioned and I thank you all for assisting me the start of this journey.

In a very short time with only 4 of my articles even worked on for SEO, i'm ranking in the top ten looking at the Cuterank tool for 5 of my keywords.

My next step will be to refine my keyword choices and concentrate on one for each of the already published articles.

Thank you so much for your help,
Thomas
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Thomas,

In a very short time with only 4 of my articles even worked on for SEO, i'm ranking in the top ten looking at the Cuterank tool for 5 of my keywords.

I'm glad to hear that. :)

On-page SEO is as important as off-page SEO and there really is no sense to optimize your pages if you do not know what keywords you are optimizing your pages for. Another suggestion is to make sure you are targeting long tail keywords. This way you are also targeting the words/phrases within the long tail keywords.

We're happy to help so please do not hesitate to let us know when you have further inquiries. :)

All the best!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
scratchbakery wrote:My next step will be to refine my keyword choices and concentrate on one for each of the already published articles.

To find good keywords, it would help if you visit forums related to your niche. Think of somebody who would be interested in buying your products. What topic would these people be interested in? What would they type in the search engines? Once you know what those are, you have a pretty good idea what sort of things people will be typing into google. Think about what problems people are having, and ask yourself if your products can help them solve that problem. Find your target market's problems and focus on the crisis situations. Keywords focused on an immediate need are more targeted to someone who wants to buy. Find the exact problem and offer a solution. These will convert to sales well.

You want to use long tail keywords (3 words or more). Also choose keywords that will target potential buyers. These would include buy phrases (find keywords with terms like "buy", "order", "purchase), product/author names, crisis keywords (stop, repair, fix, crisis, save, prevent, or rescue) and how to keywords (how to, learn, lessons, tips, DIY, make, or build). It would be good to have at least 20 different keywords on your list. Then choose the one with a good search volume. A good keyword will have a monthly search volume of at least 1000 and less than 50,000. Having a search volume that is too high (more than 50,000 per month) means that the keyword that you are targeting is too vague or general (and too competitive!). It is recommended to use keywords that have an average search volume of around 1000 or more.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
scratchbakery wrote:My problem was actually that i have really great content, but only now doing some optimization.
So, now i'm going back and adding keywords, meta descriptions and titles and some internal links.
I'm adding italics to a key phrase.
But, when you go back and do all that to a a lot of articles, I wanted to make sure.
My talents are ability to do great content and excellent understanding of customers.
My weaknesses are obvious as mentioned and I thank you all for assisting me the start of this journey.
My next step will be to refine my keyword choices and concentrate on one for each of the already published articles.
Thank you so much for your help,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I suggest that you first analyze your web traffic and if possible check the pages that get high traffic. Also, be on the lookout for high bounce rates as well. When you see pages with high bounce rates, start optimizing these pages with relevant keywords and doing on-page SEO. If you see pages that have high traffic and with low bounce rates, then just let these article be; do not change them.

You do not have to change or optimize every article in your website. All you need to so is to check first your traffic, analyze the pages that gets real views and pages that have high bounce rates. From there, do what is necessary to improve your ranking.

If you want to improve rankings by doing on-page SEO, I suggest that you just start posting new articles (instead of doing major changes on old ones) and optimized these articles. You may also start putting links or anchor texts of your old posts to your new articles.
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! https://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: https://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

contactus1
Trust:
Google Adwords keyword tool is the better choise for keyword research..
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Google Adwords keyword tool is the better choise for keyword research.

Sorry, No.
That's way over-simplified. The best choice is to use Google's Keyword Research Tool during some steps in a keyword research and analysis project and to use SEO applications, like Traffic Travis, during other steps - as appropriate to the tasks at hand. Each tool has their strengths and shortcomings. And those SEO apps can use Google's information, just as Google does (plus other search engines). For all the details, check out the Affiloblueprint course.

SEO WordPress Plugins:
When using WordPress, a good SEO plugin can be a great help and time-saver, once you've finished your excellent market niche research and keyword analysis and you know what keywords to use.

I prefer the "WordPress SEO" plugin by Joost de Valk (also see his excellent blog and SEO discussions), but Affilorama recommends the older "All-In-One SEO" plugin, which is also very good.

Either plugin will do excellent on-page SEO, warn you of problems, produce and upload your sitemap.xml files (at least WordPress SEO does this) and more.

Order of Battle:
I believe it's wiser to do your market niche research first, then write your content based on that, rather than writing content that you THINK may be of interest to your niche market, and only then choosing key words. Remember, the basic premise of business is "Find a need and fill it.", not "Fill a need and find it".

Hope this helps....
_jim coe

This topic was started on Apr 15, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.