Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Issues with Google and Page Rank

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:

Issues with Google and Page Rank

I think everyone should leave Matt Cutts a piece of your mind on this topic.... it's really important to the future of your Internet business. They are discounting paid links and non-relative reciprocal links which makes it very hard to rank for a site now.... very difficult.

Serious cause for concern here..... It's one thing to discount spammy sites and scraper sites, but another to setup a tattle-tale form for relevant sites and relevant paid links. Personally for me......... this ruins my entire SEO strategy....

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

Thanks,
stevenar
Trust:
Ah so it is going to happen. That guy in the interview i was talking about in another thread said they were going to find a way to stop link buying and end link exchanging sites.. i still didn't look for for the video but i THINK it with was with Charles Heflin.

Google wants the very best sites at the top of the search engines..not the sites that can buy the most links. It would make sense that they want to stop link buying/exchanging so that only the very best sites with the best content will gain natural links and will be at the top. And honestly I like the idea.. It will help MY seo strategy.

Authority Sites are the future! Everyone get with it! :lol:
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
stevenar wrote:Ah so it is going to happen. That guy in the interview i was talking about in another thread said they were going to find a way to stop link buying and end link exchanging sites.. i still didn't look for for the video but i THINK it with was with Charles Heflin.

Google wants the very best sites at the top of the search engines.. It would make sense that they want to stop link buying/exchanging. they want the sites with the best content at the top of the search engines.. not the sites that can buy the most links. By stopping link buying only the very best sites with the best content will gain natural links and will be at the top. And honestly I like the idea.. It will help MY seo strategy.

Authority Sites are the future! Everyone get with it! :lol:

You would never be able to rank for certain markets. You will not get a top ranking for "weight loss" without a high page rank link.... and even if it wasn't paid... they might think it is and not count it......... this limits you to smaller search terms... and besides...

Who cares if you buy a link that is relevant to the topic you are doing.... you could have the best site in the world filled with lots of unique and proper content.... and still not make it to the top.... because Google decided that you need 1 way authoritative links? .... Good luck getting 1,500+ related 1-ways :)
stevenar
Trust:
Thats where authority sites come in though. When you have an authority site you get thousands and thousands of sites linking to you and you dont spend a dime.

For an example.. in my first week of my gaming website i got a link from curse-gaming which is the 3rd most visited MMORPG gaming site on the net.. just because my content is that good. I got also got 3 links from the website of the game im writing content about.. they got a page rank of 7. When you write good quality content everything just happens for ya. It's really great :)
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
stevenar wrote:Thats where authority sites come in though. When you have an authority site you get thousands and thousands of sites linking to you and you dont spend a dime.

For an example.. in my first week of my gaming website i got a link from curse-gaming which is the 3rd most visited MMORPG gaming site on the net.. just because my content is that good. I got also got 3 links from the website of the game im writing content about.. they got a page rank of 7. When you write good quality content everything just happens for ya. It's really great :)

I just don't think it is a sound strategy... there are way too many unknowns... and they are going to have a hard time figuring out if a link is paid or not. You could say the same for the print world.... is a company not going to be allowed to place an ad in the newspaper or on a billboard because it is going to gain them more traffic? Sorry but Google crossed the line.... if they wanted to fix things.... they should not count non-relative links. Their own page-rank system came full circle and hit them square in the face.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
I suppose I will now have to revert too finding someone to aggressively get me 1-way one links and do press releases.... more costs....
stevenar
Trust:
I just don't think it is a sound strategy... there are way too many unknowns... and they are going to have a hard time figuring out if a link is paid or not. You could say the same for the print world.... is a company not going to be allowed to place an ad in the newspaper or on a billboard because it is going to gain them more traffic? Sorry but Google crossed the line.... if they wanted to fix things.... they should not count non-relative links. Their own page-rank system came full circle and hit them square in the face.

Well the way google thinks of links is a vote for your site. By buying links your just trying to trick google into thinking your sites good.

In the print world your buying an ad spot and if people are intrested they will come. No tricking is involved in doing this and nobody is losing.

Not sure how the two can be comparable.

Google is not saying you cant have links and get traffic through them.. they're just saying don't get fake links.

I wonder how google will find out if you bought links though.. I'm sure they will not just believe the person reporting a bought link... they would need some kind of system..
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
You could say the same for the print world.... is a company not going to be allowed to place an ad in the newspaper or on a billboard because it is going to gain them more traffic?

Is it really the same? Matt Cutts says that buying links for traffic is a-ok, but that they should use the "nofollow" tag. This is the same as putting up a big billboard on a motorway -- you're increasing the exposure of your business because you're visible on a highly trafficked route, and lots of people are seeing it, and you raise your brand awareness among those people.

What if you could put up a billboard on a highly trafficked motorway in Johannesburg, and have this single ad increase awareness of your brand in all parts of the world, not just South Africa?

I think that's a more useful analogy for buying high PR links. People will attack Google using your same argument.. "Oh, we're not allowed to advertise anymore??" -- but the point is that the advertising is being done to boost your reputation on a disproportionately bigger scale. You're not buying an ad for the traffic from this site... you're doing it to boost your PR and get more traffic from Google. It's different.

I'm not saying I'm for or against any developments in this area. You have to learn to roll with the punches when you're in this industry. But I'm all for more rational arguments :)

Regards,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
stevenar wrote:

Well the way google thinks of links is a vote for your site. By buying links your just trying to trick google into thinking your sites good.

In the print world your buying an ad spot and if people are intrested they will come. No tricking is involved in doing this and nobody is losing.

Not sure how the two can be comparable.

Google is not saying you cant have links and get traffic through them.. they're just saying don't get fake links.

I wonder how google will find out if you bought links though.. I'm sure they will not just believe the person reporting a bought link... they would need some kind of system..

Some may... others may not......... then again.... what if you got all the links in the world from being an authority site... how would google know if 20 of those free links you earned from PR7 sites were not paid? It's pointless.... both the digital and the print world purcahse advertising with the hopes for traffic........ in digital it's SEO and in print, it's real traffic. They should be focusing on relative link filters instead of regulating how webmasters can advertise their business.
stevenar
Trust:
Ahh i see what you mean. You buy links for traffic... ya that kinda sucks then.. to bad the link that gets you traffic is connected with the page rank system..

And ya how they are going to find out if they links are real or not will be tough..
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I can understand where google are coming from. If I was them I'd probably want to do it aswell, I still think that it's going to be very hard to police.

Do google think that all the people informing them of "paid links" are going to be honest? And how do they prove that a payment has been made?

If there was some way to prove that links were being bought, I could understand where they're coming from (Not that I agree with it) but the whole "dibber dobber" system is a crazy way to do it.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world