Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Increasing page rank on passive sites - How is it done?

matthewjahn
Trust:

Increasing page rank on passive sites - How is it done?

I had a few quetions for ya Mark. One thing you and everybody on this forum recommend is having a forum for our pages, blogs, newsletters etc. It all makes perfect sense why you should keep thing active on your page. So the question is...it seems on a few of your example sites like the dogproblemsolutions.com, languageimmersioncourses.com, haircutadvice.com there is none of this. It's mostly just articles, and languageimmersioncourses.com doesn't have any. Why is this? How do you get your pages ranking so well and get so many visitors with a pretty passive site?

Thanks for the help!

Matt
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Blogs and forums are ways of regularly adding new content to your site. They are by no means essential, it depends on what type of site you're building. If you're regularly adding content to your site in the form of articles etc, or simply updating the content of your site, that can be enough.

As for the sites you're mentioning... a lot of our sites are actually being updated regularly, just not in a way that you can see from the website. They might have a newsletter series that goes up on the website and (if you look hard enough) you can probably find it, but we don't link directly from the website because we want people to sign up to the newsletter.

Haircutadvice.com isn't being updated very frequently, but it manages to rank well because we managed to get a lot of good backlinks. I imagine that if we were to update it more regularly it might rank even better, but it's not a high priority at the moment. Most of the competitor sites aren't updated very frequently either :)

The last point is that most of these sites are quite well aged. (Haircutadvice is more than three years old.) This also helps their search engine rankings.

So the point is... forums and blogs are great tools for keeping your site fresh, but there are other ways to keep your site updated. Also freshness is just one factor search engines look at.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

matthewjahn
Trust:
All good info thanks! So by good backlinks you mean swopping links with sites that already have a good rankings? One more thing, I was wondering if you would be willing to supply a list with all your sites on it. I'd like to be able to go through and check out what your doing with sites that havn't already been shown as examples. It really helps to see what the "pros" are doing.

Thanks again

Matt
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
I'd like to be able to go through and check out what your doing with sites that havn't already been shown as examples.

Hey Matt,

Everything I personally do in affiliate marketing is in the videos. I've given you guys some examples that are pretty representative of my affiliate sites in general, and when I've done something different on a particular site I typically put it in the videos too. I don't think you'll gain anything more by seeing a whole bunch of my sites -- and I'm sure you can understand that it probably wouldn't be sensible for me to list them here. I want to teach you all how to be creative and think for yourselves. I don't want an army of Mark Ling clones out there!

If you've gone through the videos, understood the material, and figured out what tools to use, there's no reason why you can't go into any niche and quickly identify who the top affiliates in that niche are. Take a look at all their sites and learn from their techniques. Then let me know if you want me to make a lesson on how to do something!

It was a nice try though :)
Mark

P.S. A backlink is any link to your site. Whether it's one you've swapped, bought or just earned by being groovy.
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive