Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

How to tackle SEO

nates450r
Trust:

How to tackle SEO

Hello everyone i wanted to ask a quick question about SEO

Right now i am using PPC for my traffic, however i am getting organic search traffic also
I want to start optimizing my website, so where should i start?

I figured i would just start at the beginning (page1) and work my way thought till the end (last page)
When doing SEO on a page i know you want to target the most relevant keywords, but another question is
how many keywords should i be optimizing for on any given page? i thought 4-5 KW per page would be a good start.

(NOTE) my website has 20 pages
most of my pages have 550-650 words so it would not look good trying to optimize 20 KW per page.
Last edited by michellerana on 25 Aug 09 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: misspelled words

jpastorizo
Trust:
Nates,

On the AB, the recommended was to put up 1 page per keyword on your affiliate site. I think it is easier to rank in the SEs this way rather than put your SEO efforts to optimize for 5 keywords for each page. If I were you I would optimize for 1 keyword for each of the 20 pages on your site. Also find out what your 2nd tier keywords are and optimize for those as well.

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

nates450r
Trust:
Thank you for the reply- you fully answered my question
2nd tier keywords? can you explain?
does that mean after optimizing the pages for 1 keyword each, go back and optimize for the 2nd best keywords? and so on
jpastorizo
Trust:
Nates,

Actually, from what I learned from StomperNet...they suggest to optimize for 2nd tier keywords first! And the reason being is that when you're website is new (which it is) it will be challenging (although not impossible) to rank for the higly competitive keywords because the big boys are focusing on those. The big boys however, do not play around with 2nd tier keywords. 2nd tier keywords are the keywords that have some traffic and virtually have almost no competition (because yeah they dont get much traffic). However, optimizing your website for several 2nd tier keywords...you will rank for these ones pretty fast. I've done some testing. =)

When you are already ranking for your 2nd tier keywords, then that is when you start optimizing for your main higly competitive keywords. The good thing about ranking highly on the SEs for your 2nd tier keywords is that the link juice flows within the other pages of your site. And since "big G" is all about relevancy (this is the reason they use LSI) you would rank for your main keywords faster than starting your SEO for your site on these same main keywords.

Based on the StomperNet's tests, 60% of their sales came from visitors who arrived at their website (they had an ecommerce store for the test) through 2nd tier keywords. What does this tell you?

This tells you that...

Making sales on your website doesn't necessarily have to be through searches done using the highly competitive keywords you have. Yeah it's good to get high volume traffic by optimizing for the main keywords, but the question is how long can you wait before the traffic starts coming in? Your 2nd tier keywords may not mean much at first until you realize that ranking highly for those terms actually makes it easier for your site to get to the 1st page of google for your main keywords.

Hope this helps,
Renato

nates450r
Trust:
Understand it all now
Thanks
nates450r
Trust:
One other quick question

when creating a new page for your website
on the page details section ware you fill out discription,title,KW, etc...

for the KW section is that a general list of KW about the page (bigger list)or should i only put KWs that im doing SEO on (smaller list)?
how relevent is that KW list when your site gets spidered?

thanks,Nathan
nates450r
Trust:
i just did a keyword report on market leap (i think is the name)
my site is already ranking on the 1-3rd page of google,yahoo and lycos pro
for VERY RELEVENT KEYWORDS & SEARCH PHRASES

i just did a google search and my websites (landing/main page) is listed on 2nd page (out of 530,000 results) for the main kw im targeting.
jpastorizo
Trust:
nates450r wrote:One other quick question

when creating a new page for your website
on the page details section ware you fill out discription,title,KW, etc...

for the KW section is that a general list of KW about the page (bigger list)or should i only put KWs that im doing SEO on (smaller list)?
how relevent is that KW list when your site gets spidered?

thanks,Nathan

You should put the keywords that you are targeting for the particular page. I try tominimize this to 2 keywords but sometimes I include 4 and these are just variations of the main keywords.
Example: Get my ex back, Get my ex back review

jpastorizo
Trust:
nates450r wrote:i just did a keyword report on market leap (i think is the name)
my site is already ranking on the 1-3rd page of google,yahoo and lycos pro
for VERY RELEVENT KEYWORDS & SEARCH PHRASES

i just did a google search and my websites (landing/main page) is listed on 2nd page (out of 530,000 results) for the main kw im targeting.

Nates,

Arent you using the Free Traffic Travis?

Renato

nates450r
Trust:
yes i used that also

This topic was started on Aug 24, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.