Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

How to build links for a very large site

swarlley
Trust:

How to build links for a very large site

Say you were given a website that had 100 pages of content that you wanted to start building links to. How would you go about this very large project? Any particular tools or strategies?

Would your strategy change if the site was less than 3 months old? over 1 year old? What if it had 500 articles?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Chris
esolutions
Trust:
Chris,

Honestly the first step would be branding and ranking the site itself, making it popular for it's topic. This popularity then spills over to other pages on the site and helps them to rank with less individual effort. From there, next step, sort the pages by importance and potential traffic volume and begin ranking in that order.

Focus on perfect onpage optimization and have a strong and well thought out organizational structure for the addition of each new page (think mega silo).
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
Hi Chris,

The first thing I would do is to re-evaluate the site, run this in Traffic Travis and check for on-page SEO suggestions then apply the changes as suggested.

After that, I would also do keyword re-evaluation then check the most important pages. It is also a good idea to list these pages from the most important to the least. This way, it will be easier for me to see which pages are to be prioritize first.

Then after getting the above done, I will start creating my own linkbuilding/SEO campaign and also create a doable timeline for that.

The key here is to be as organized as possible and at least have a good timeline. :)

I hope that helps!

Mary
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! https://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: https://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

alexcarter2004
Trust:
First of all you should focus on page factors and should do necessary changes (if required), after that you can go for off page techniques and promoting your website. I would not suggest to use any kind of tool to do SEO for your site, your site is large and it will take time to get rank for that but manual work of SEO is better than any tools available.

createmoney
Trust:
I agree with the above. Basically you need to do an intensive SEO audit. Depending on the age of the content you might need to determine what the search engines think i.e. there might be somehow you can access search history data. Awast or something like that or if it is a blog it may have SearchTerm Tagging plugin. use this data to determine how the SEs currently rank the site.

You will also need to look at the content and look for relevant keywords that fit the content, not the other way around since the content is already existing. May take the url of each post or root domain and paste it onto Google keywords tool so that the tool may give the keywords it thinks the site is about.

Take this keywords and try to merge them page by page and depending on your SEO audit you might need to improve internally SEO. Strong internal SEO gets half the job done. make sure to link to other internal pages, home page, categories and external pages. Try to have all forms of content where possible i.e. text, image, video and audio.

If the site is growing (getting updated) i suggest you formulate content syndication strategy using social media. you can automate the whole process with the help of sites/platforms like IFTTT.com, Hootsuite.com, Onlywire.com etc. If it is a wordpress blog look for syndication plugins and install them. This will make sure that future posts start off initial links from authority social media sites like Delicious, Blogger, Tumblr, Livejournal, Posterous, Diigo and more.

Then I will suggest randomly bookmarking and building links to old pages. Start with the ones that do not target competitive keywords and work your way down to competitive ones. Vary your anchor text and if need be sprinkle more relevant keywords in the post using alt text, description, caption for images and maybe add a sentence or two listing related words, etc.

Dos that help?
kallayprasanth05
Trust:
Internal linking is a very effective method of link building. You would do well to link all of your web pages internally. On-page SEO methods should be used to build links for larger sites.
allenhill9999
Trust:
There are so many ways to build a link for a large website like -

* Social network websites (Digg.com, Reddit.com, Del.icio.us).
* Post on discussion forums related to your topic. In your forum profile, link to your website. In your forum signature, make a link to your website with keywords in the hyperlink title.
* Posts comments on blogs related to your topic. Put your website in the URL field. Write a nice comment.
* Suggest your site to people asking questions on answers.yahoo.com, answers.com.
* Create a Wikipedia.com article about your company, and list your website address as one of the sites you develop and maintain.

This topic was started on Jan 16, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.