Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

How do I do Split Testing properly? Is there software?

PremiumMember
rdonnelly
Trust:

How do I do Split Testing properly? Is there software?

Hi everyone,

As everyone says, and I'm sure Mark will conform, the best way to test your changes and optimize them is to do split testing. I am therefore interested in getting feedback about how to do split testing properly.
Is there a good software package that is reasonably priced that will do it for you or is it better to try to attempt to do it manually? Has anyone any comments on software that they have tried. If I was to do it manually, any suggestions on how I would best proceed.

Thanks in advance

Ron

http://www.buying-guide-for-digital-cameras.com
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Always try to do it yourself. Just create two different ads in google if you are using PPC I am guessing? Software will never do the work FOR you. It only makes the work go a little faster if you have the know how.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
rdonnelly
Trust:
Adrian,

I was actually thinking of testing different changes to my landing page eg. placement of adsense ads, adding a video etc. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Ron
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Did you create the website that you are sending visitors to now? If so, simply re-arrange the layout and save it as a new page. Then create a different ad in Adwords and send visitors to your new page. See how it works out.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
rdonnelly
Trust:
I wasn't planing on running PPC ads but wanted to use my nature traffic. It is not a problem to create a separate landing page with the changes I want to test but have you any suggestions on how to split the traffic btween two pages to test the changes. The only way I can think of is to show each page for 1 week and then compare the stats from each week.

Thanks

Ron
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Not much you can do there unless you save your new homepage as the old one or do a re-direct script.

Adrian,

Do the 1 week plan.
alvin
Trust:
Hi,

If you want to do some serious split testing, then you can opt for Google's Website Optimizer. Its still Beta I think, but I got an invite and its pretty incredible.

You can choose different headline, header image and body text and Google will mix and match and tell you which combo works best!

Its quite sophisticated but the results could be quite stunning if used well.

http://services.google.com/websiteoptimizer/

You can apply for an account and when you're approved, view the introduction video.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Thats pretty cool Alvin, Google certainly don't sit around twiddling their thumbs.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
rdonnelly
Trust:
Alvin,

That looks like a great tool and is extractly what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip.

Ron
alvin
Trust:
Its a really sweet tool, and wait you hear the best part - its integrated with your Adwords account so you can track those conversions too...